Saxtead Green Windmill - Framlingham, Suffolk
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 13.925 E 001° 17.943
31U E 383838 N 5788214
Quick Description: Saxtead Green Post Windmill is a Grade II* listed post mill at Saxtead Green, Framlingham, Suffolk, England which is also an Ancient Monument and has been restored.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/30/2014 12:24:45 PM
Waymark Code: WMKE9W
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member montythemule
Views: 3

Long Description:
"Saxtead Green Mill is a post mill with a three storey roundhouse. The mill has four Patent sails carried on a cast iron windshaft and is winded by a fantail. The mill has two pairs of millstones in the breast. All the machinery is of cast iron except the Brake Wheel, which is of oak.

The earliest known reference to a windmill in Saxtead occurs in 1287, the current Saxtead Green Mill dates back to at least 1796 when the miller was Amos Webber. In 1810, the Mill House was built for Robert Holmes. The mill was raised a total of three times during its working life. The mill was tailwinded c. 1853. As a result of this, the mill was completely rebuilt in 1854 by Whitmore and Binyon, the Wickham Market millwrights. New cast iron machinery was fitted, and the layout of the machinery changed from Head and Tail to Breast stones. It was in this year that the mill was raised for the third time. Collins, the Melton millwright worked on the mill in the 1870s and Whitmore and Binyon again worked on the mill in the 1890s. From 1926 millwright Jesse Wightman (initially apprentice to A S Aldred the Miller) assisted the owner with repairs until the mill ceased working commercially on the death of the last miller in 1947.

The mill passed to Mr S C Sullivan,(1908-1997)The son of A S Aldred, who placed the mill in the guardianship of the Ministry of Works in 1951. The mill is currently owned by Stephen and Jonathan Sullivan (ensuring the Mill has been in the ownership of the same family since 1873) The mill was completely rebuilt between 1957 and 1960 under the supervision of Jesse Wightman. A replacement crowntree was obtained from a windmill at Wetheringsett which had been demolished. The mill has been in the care of English Heritage since 1984

The mill was repaired, with a new pair of sails made in 2008.

The mill is open to the public on Friday, Saturday and Bank Holidays between 1 April and 30 September each year."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Purpose: Milling

Open to the public: yes

Is This Windmill Functional?: Yes!

Date of Manufacture: Not listed

Windmill Farm: Not Listed

Cost: Not Listed

Museum on Site: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
When logging a VISIT to a windmill that has been Waymarked, please take a a photograph of the Windmill and provide a summary of your visit. In this way we can track changes to the mills over the years
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Windmills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.