College (University) of Puget Sound - Tacoma, Washington
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member DiMonkey
N 47° 15.819 W 122° 28.784
10T E 539358 N 5234594
Quick Description: Described in the book as College of Puget Sound, the name was changed to University of Puget Sound in 1960.
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 3/23/2014 8:47:52 PM
Waymark Code: WMKD5X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ddtfamily
Views: 2

Long Description:

The COLLEGE OF PUGET SOUND, Warner St. between 13th and 18th Sts., founded in 1903, was moved to its current location in 1924. Formerly a university, it was reorganized as a co-educational college of liberal arts in 1914. The largest privately endowed institution in Washington, it is governed by the Puget Sound Conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, under the presidency of Edward Howard Todd since 1913. The red-brick collegiate Gothic building, designed by Sutton, Whitney, & Dugan, Tacoma Architects, forms an open square on the new 40-acre campus. The college has 22 departments, with an enrollment of 665 students. The permanent EXHIBIT OF PRE-INCA POTTERY and TEXTILES, more than 3,000 years old and one of the few collections of Peruvian relics extant, is housed in the C.H. Jones Hall.---WASHINGTON A Guide to the Evergreen State 1941"

The school has grown since the Guide was written in 1941. The university now has over 50 programs available for students and a current enrollment of approx. 2,600.

Book: Washington

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 274

Year Originally Published: 1941

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.