10 Trinity Square - London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 30.603 W 000° 04.659
30U E 702783 N 5710596
Quick Description: This impressive building, made from Portland stone, stands on the north west side of Trinity Square in the City of London. It was built for the Port of London Authority in 1915.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 3/7/2014 11:07:49 AM
Waymark Code: WMKA0K
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
Views: 3

Long Description:

Wikipedia tells us about the building:

10 Trinity Square is a building in London opened by David Lloyd George, then the British Prime Minister, in 1922. It is best known as being the former headquarters of the Port of London Authority. It overlooks the River Thames at Tower Hill, in the southeastern corner of the City of London.

The structure was designed by Sir Edwin Cooper and built by John Mowlen & Co in 1922 as the new headquarters of the Port of London Authority. (The PLA is now based on Charterhouse Street in Smithfield.) In 1946, Trinity Square hosted the inaugural meeting of the General Assembly of the United Nations.

The building was badly damaged by enemy bombing during the Blitz in World War II and when rebuilt in the 1970s a functional rectangular office block was built to occupy the central part of the building which was destroyed in the War. It was occupied as the European headquarters of insurance broker Willis Faber Limited following the relocation of the PLA to Smithfield.

In 2006, 10 Trinity Square was acquired by Thomas Enterprises Inc. It was sold to a partnership of KOP Group and Reignwood in 2010. Reignwood bought out KOP's stake in 2012. It will be developed into a hotel and apartments.

The building featured in the 2012 James Bond film Skyfall.

The building is Grade II* listed with the entry at the English heritage website telling us:

1912 to 22, by Sir Edwin Cooper. Large, detached, monumental building of Portland stone. Nearly square plan with entrance at canted south east corner. Plain courtyard formerly filled by large rotunda destroyed in World War II. 4 storeys plus basement and slated mansard treated as stone attic to end pavilions and at entrance. Deep entablature with pairs of Corinthian columns in antis to pavillons. 4-columned entrance portico, also in antis, the entablature topped by balustrade in front of attic. Above rises broad tower embellished with order of Corinthian pilasters and piers, arched niche and colossal figure sculpture. Stepped upper part. Entrance hall, corridors etc of some distinction. Suite of richly panelled rooms on 2nd floor, notably dining room, chairman's room and board room, east 2 with exceptional carved decoration.

The Scottish Architects website tells us about Sir Edwin the building's architect:

Thomas Edwin Cooper was born in Scarborough on 21 October 1874. He was articled to Hall & Tugwell of Scarborough from 1885 to 1889 and subsequently worked as assistant to Walter Green Penty of York, to Demaine & Brierley, and to Goldie, Child & Goldie. He commenced independent practice in 1893 in Scarborough and Westminster. He worked in partnership with John Hall and Herbert Davis in 1893, with Samuel Bridgman Russell from the early 1900s to 1912, and with Herbert Winkler Wills and John Anderson from 1918. Cooper was knighted in 1923 and died on 24 June 1942 in London.

  

Architect: Sir Edwin Cooper

Prize received: RIBA Royal Gold Medal

In what year: 1931

Website about the Architect: [Web Link]

Website about the building: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
- Please provide a photo you have taken of the architect's work.

- And please write a little about your visit to the site. Tell us what you thought, did you liked it?

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Architecture Prizes
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Lyngerup.dk visited 10 Trinity Square - London, UK 12/26/2014 Lyngerup.dk visited it