Bee Cave, TX - Population 3925
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 30° 18.467 W 097° 59.157
14R E 597501 N 3353326
Quick Description: Bee Cave, TX, population 3925 as of this posting. This sign is located on the south side of FM 3238 at the western city limit.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 10/18/2013 8:47:45 PM
Waymark Code: WMJAAT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 1

Long Description:
The Handbook of Texas Online has this to say about Bee Cave: (visit link)

Bee Cave is at the intersection of State Highway 71 and Farm Roads 620 and 2244, twelve miles west of Austin in west central Travis County. It was named by early settlers for a large cave of wild bees found near the site. A post office opened there under the name Bee Caves in 1870 with Martin V. Lackey as postmaster. By 1871 Wiley Johnson was operating a trading post at the settlement. In the mid-1880s the Bee Cave community had a steam gristmill, a cotton gin, a general store, a church, a school, and twenty residents. The population fell to ten in the early 1890s but rose to fifty-four by 1914. The post office was discontinued in 1915, and mail for the community was sent to Cedar Valley. The Bee Cave school was consolidated with the Teck common school district in the 1940s and with the Dripping Springs Independent School District in Hays County in 1951. The population was reported at fifty from the 1940s through the 1980s. In 1990 it was 241, and it grew to 656 in 2000. By that time Bee Cave had schools, parks and recreational facilities, and a public library.
Address: Western city limit, FM 3238

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.