Lister Park Regeneration - Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 53° 48.676 W 001° 46.271
30U E 580909 N 5963222
Quick Description: This memorial plaque in Lister Park's formal flower gardens commemorates the completion of work to renovate the park and the gardens.
Location: Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/11/2013 12:56:53 PM
Waymark Code: WMJ8PW
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Bon Echo
Views: 5

Long Description:
This extract from Bradford Council's website tells us that "This Grade II Listed Historic Park was originally the grounds of Samuel Cunliffe Lister’s family home, Manningham Hall. In 1870 he donated the area to Bradford on the condition that they maintain the park for the benefit of the people of Bradford. He also paid for the demolition of his house, and the erection of a new art gallery, called Cartwright Hall. The gallery was completed in 1903 and was the centre piece of the Bradford Industrial Exhibition of 1904, which was visited by the Prince and Princess of Wales.

The park is regarded as Bradford's premier public park but by the 1990s it was in need of improvement and restoration. The Park was restored to its original splendour using funds provided by the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF, who provided £3.2milion) and Bradford Council (who provided £1million and also designed and carried out the scheme) between 1998 and 2002.

When Simpson and Allen’s original design for Cartwright Hall was published, it specified that gardens would be laid out to provide ‘a visually impressive setting’ for the museum. The symmetrically laid out beds are of a style popular with stately homes in the Victorian and Edwardian eras.

Many similar gardens in the UK have be replaced with easier to maintain simpler layouts. In this park however they were restored to be a centre piece in front of the hall."

When the park was re-opened by the then Lord Mayor of Bradford, Councillor Richard Wightman, the plaque was fixed to a large stone at the front of the flower beds, recognising the part they play in showing off Cartwright Hall. The text of the plaques is as follows.
Lister Park

This plaque was unveiled by The Right
Worshipful The Lord Mayor of Bradford,
Councillor Richard Wightman
on 26th May 2002
to commemorate the completion of the
restoration of the Park (1998 - 2002)
This extract from Bradford College's website tells us that "Richard Wightman held a number of public positions including, President of Bradford Chamber of Commerce and was also a District councillor for over 20 years, including two periods acting as Deputy-Leader of the Council. In 2002 he also served as Lord Mayor of Bradford. He also sat regularly as a magistrate on the Bradford & Keighley Bench of the magistrates court.

He stood down from the council in 2003 and then took a position as leader of Bradford College."
What was opened/inaugurated?: The renovated Lister Park

Who was that opened/inaugurated it?: The Right Worshipful The Lord Mayor of Bradford, Councillor Richard Wightman

Date of the opening/inauguration?: 5/26/2002

Website about the location: [Web Link]

Website about the person: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
-Please provide a photo you have taken of the site.

-Tell us something about your visit!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Grand Opening
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.