Gunter, TX - Population 1498
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 24.850 W 096° 45.503
14S E 708440 N 3699449
Quick Description: Gunter, TX, population 1498 as of this posting. This sign is located on the east side of TX 289 (Preston Road), at the southern city limit.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 9/8/2013 9:05:13 AM
Waymark Code: WMJ19Q
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 1

Long Description:
A Texas Historical Marker stands at the site of Jot (John) Gunter's ranch, west of the center of town along FM 121, and it says:

Established 1880's by Jot Gunter, developer of Texas real estate, prominent Grayson County businessman. In mid-1890's his ranch exceeded 20,000 acres. Gunter, born in North Carolina in 1845, came to Texas to practice law after he served in Confederate army. The town of Gunter, incorporated in 1914, was named for him. (1968)

The Handbook of Texas elaborates a bit further: (visit link)

Gunter is at the intersection of State Highway 289 and Farm Road 121, twelve miles southwest of Sherman in south central Grayson County. One of the later towns to be established in Grayson County, Gunter received a post office in 1898 and was organized as a community in 1902 when the tracks of the St. Louis, San Francisco and Texas Railway reached the area. The town's namesake, John Gunter, a cattleman and surveyor, donated land for the townsite. The arrival of the railroad established Gunter as a retail and community center for area farmers. By 1914 the town reported a population of 800 and thirty-six businesses. It also had Baptist, Methodist, and Church of Christ churches and a weekly newspaper called the Grayson County Advocate. The community's population surpassed 500 in 1924, the year Gunter incorporated. Its residents were served by some fifty businesses, including two banks; it also had a school and numerous churches. The Great Depression slowed Gunter's growth, and its population declined to 475 by 1936. During the 1960s its population once again surpassed 500, and in 1991 Gunter reported a population of 926 and some twenty-four businesses. In 2000 the population was 1,230 with thirty-seven businesses.
Address: TX 289, southern city limit

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.