Royal School of Mines - Prince Consort Road, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 29.993 W 000° 10.542
30U E 696025 N 5709198
Quick Description: The Royal School of Mines, part of Imperial College of Science and Technology, is located on the south side of Prince Consort Road close to the junction with Exhibition Road and close to the Royal Albert Hall. Designed by Sir Aston Webb.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/8/2013 10:50:46 AM
Waymark Code: WMHRBZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
Views: 1

Long Description:

The Royal School of Mines has a cornerstone, close to the front entrance, that reads:

This stone was laid by His Majesty Edward VII King of Great Britain
and Ireland and of the British Dominions Beyond the Seas Emperor
of India, on the 8th day of July 1909 for the new buildings of the
Royal School of Mines. Initiated by His Royal Highness the Prince
Consort and of the City and Guilds College of Engineering which
with the Royal College of Science form integral parts of
the Imperial College of Science and Technology

The building is Grade II listed with the entry at the English Heritage website telling us:

College. 1909-13. Sir Aston Webb. Portland stone. Hipped green slate roof. Grand symmetrical Classical building. Three storeys plus attics and basement. Rusticated quoins. Thirty-three bays wide, the centre seven set forward and articulated by Roman Ionic pilasters. These are paired to either side of central bay, which is wider with three storey semidomed niche. Arched windows in upper storey of niche; others square headed. Windows to first and second floor linked by continuous architraves to each bay. Rich modillion cornice above second floor with attic above. Blind attic to centre bays with sculptured groups. Further carved figures and high pedestals to each side of entrance, with large busts to Wernner and Beit. Broad, low obelisks beyond supporting pairs of lamps.

The Scottish Architects website tells us about Sir Aston Webb:

Aston Webb was born at Clapham on 22 May 1849 the son of Edward Webb an engraver and watercolour artist. He was articled to Banks & Barry from 1886 to 1871, during which period he took classes at the Architectural Association. He made an extensive continental study tour in 1871-1872 and won the Pugin Studentship in 1873. He commenced independent practice in that year but the next two years were principally spent in assisting other architects. He was admitted ARIBA on 9 February 1874, his proposers being Charles Barry Junior, Augustus Frere and Henry Currey.

After some years Webb took into partnership Edward Ingress Bell. In 1885 the partnership of Webb & Bell made its name by winning the competition for the Birmingham Law Courts and in 1891 that for the South Kensington Museum; that for Christ's Hospital in Horsham followed in 1894. These successes brought in their wake a long series of public commissions and further competition successes notably that for the improvement of the Mall in 1901.

Webb was President of the RIBA in 1902-04 and was knighted in the latter year. He received the Royal Gold Medal in 1905 and the American Gold Medal in 1907. He was President of the Royal Academy 1919-24.

By the tiem of the death of Bell in 1914, Webb had taken his son Maurice Everett Webb, born 23 April 1880, into partnership.

Webb died on 21 August 1930.

Architect: Sir Aston Webb

Prize received: RIBA Royal Gold Medal

In what year: 1905

Website about the Architect: [Web Link]

Website about the building: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
- Please provide a photo you have taken of the architect's work.

- And please write a little about your visit to the site. Tell us what you thought, did you liked it?

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Architecture Prizes
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.