First Public Building -- Alpine - Alpine, UT, USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Chasing Blue Sky
N 40° 27.657 W 111° 46.494
12T E 434301 N 4479208
Quick Description: This marker is situated on the north end of the Alpine Cemetery, near the site of the first public building in Alpine, Utah, a meeting- and schoolhouse. It was built in 1851 and moved three years later to the fort about half a mile south.
Location: Utah, United States
Date Posted: 7/9/2013 10:43:34 AM
Waymark Code: WMHGN4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member JacobBarlow
Views: 1

Long Description:
This historical marker is attached to a base made of multiple rocks and masonry that stands at the north end of the Alpine Cemetery, along Pioneer Drive (600 North), just east of Main Street. The marker reads:


Daughters of Utah Pioneers

No. 276

Erected 1962

First Public Building -- Alpine

Three rods north of this site the settlers
built their first meeting and school house in 1851,
a small log structure with roof of split logs
and dirt, log benches and a fireplace of granite.
Charles S. Peterson, Roswell Stevens and Morris
Phelps, building committee. An L.D.S. Ward was
organized Sept. 18, 1852, Isaac Houston, Bishop. In
1854 a fort was erected and the building moved
into the N.W. corner. In 1863 a rock meeting
house 21' x 32' was built on the Public Square
which served for church and civic purposes
until 1872, Thomas J. McCullough, Bishop.

Mountainville Camp North Utah County, Utah
Marker Name: First Public Building -- Alpine

Marker Number: 276

Marker Text:
First Public Building -- Alpine Three rods north of this site the settlers built their first meeting and school house in 1851, a small log structure with roof of split logs and dirt, log benches and a fireplace of granite. Charles S. Peterson, Roswell Stevens and Morris Phelps, building committee. An L.D.S. Ward was organized Sept. 18, 1852, Isaac Houston, Bishop. In 1854 a fort was erected and the building moved into the N.W. corner. In 1863 a rock meeting house 21' x 32' was built on the Public Square which served for church and civic purposes until 1872, Thomas J. McCullough, Bishop.


Visit Instructions:
To log a 'visit' for waymarks in this category tell of your visit, any insights, new things you learned, etc... and if possible post photos.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest D.U.P. Historic Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Chasing Blue Sky visited First Public Building -- Alpine - Alpine, UT, USA 6/26/2013 Chasing Blue Sky visited it