Fond du Lac Historical Marker – Duluth, MN
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member wildernessmama
N 46° 39.626 W 092° 16.369
15T E 555633 N 5167687
Quick Description: This marker tells about the history of Fond du Lac.
Location: Minnesota, United States
Date Posted: 6/18/2013 7:54:58 PM
Waymark Code: WMHB99
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member KC0GRN
Views: 1

Long Description:
This marker tells about the history of Fond du Lac. Its text reads:

Fond du Lac was incorporated in 1857 and became a part of the City of Duluth in 1895. This is the site of a major Chippewa Indian settlement from the sixteenth through the nineteenth centuries and is situated on the early canoe route along the St. Louis River from Lake Superior to Lake Vermillion and the Upper Mississippi. Daniel Graysolon, Sieur du Lhut, visited the site in 1679. The American Fur Company established a trading post in 1817. Louis Cass camped here in 1820 while searching for the source of the Mississippi River, as did Henry R. Schoolcraft in 1826. The Chippewa Indian Treaty, negotiated by Cass, was signed at Fond du Lac in 1826. A branch of the Superior-St. Paul Military Road was built to Fond du Lac about 1856, and the first railroad to reach Duluth – the Lake Superior and Mississippi – was constructed through the settlement in 1870.

Erected by the St. Louis County Historical Society
in cooperation with the Minnesota Highway Department, 1956
Marker Type:: City

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site'.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Minnesota Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.