Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building - Kansas City, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 39° 06.735 W 094° 37.633
15S E 359315 N 4330493
Quick Description: This three-story brown brick building is located at 701 N 7th in Kansas City, Ks.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 6/16/2013 4:40:20 PM
Waymark Code: WMHAR5
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 1

Long Description:
pg. 214 --Kansas: A Guide to the Sunflower State, 1939

SOLDIERS’ AND SAILORS’ MEMORIAL BUILDING (open), 7th St. between Barnett and Tauromee Aves. , of neoclassic design-somewhat freely adapted – was erected in 1924 as a monument to Wyandotte County’s World War heroes and is really two buildings, combining a civic auditorium with the Memorial Hall, which contains military trophies, memorial tablets, and photograph. Rose and Peterson of Kansas City were the architects.

From the National Register application:
(visit link)

"The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building is a masonry building measuring 213 by 168 feet, with a single entrance portico projecting to the east and a corresponding projection of the stage loft on the west. The side walls linking the stage projection to the main north and south facades are angled due to the interior auditorium layout. The structure is reinforced concrete tile block, faced on the exterior with a warm brown brick trimmed with limestone and cream-colored terra cotta. The building contains three stories and a basement, with a raised attic running the length of the middle third of the building from the attic screen of the front portico to the higher stage loft at the rear. The portico is classical in design, but the remainder of the exterior is more nearly Georgian in its restraint, a feeling emphasized by the predominance of eight-over-eight double-hung windows.

The entry portico consists of six stone Tuscan columns, three stories in height, set in antis between flanking blocks containing fire stairs. The entablature above the columns is plain, in keeping with the Tuscan order, with a frieze unornamented save for incised letters giving the name of the building and paired swags in relief at the ends. The cornice is very pronounced, with details borrowed from the Doric order. Above the entablature is a high parapet or attic screen. The base and cap of the parapet are of stone and the wall is brick with terra cotta panels including inscriptions and two flanking eagles in high relief.

Behind the columns of the portico, five double doors topped with elaborate stone cartouches containing small bullseye windows open into the Memorial Hall. This two-story space measuring 45 by 73 feet functions both as a memorial and as the building's lobby. On the west side of the Memorial Hall is a second set of five double doors, leading into the foyer of the auditorium. Above these doors on the second floor is an arcaded gallery looking out over the Hall, the five arches matching those enframing the entry opposite, while three corresponding arches grace the north and south walls.

Appropriate to its purpose, Memorial Hall is the most elaborately detailed space in the building. A wainscot of Carthage marble runs around the perimeter of the room, supporting twelve engaged Corinthian columns and four corresponding corner piers executed in plaster, the columns and piers separating the sixteen arches. Other decorative plaster work includes multiple mouldings, large bas reliefs of laurel and olive branches surmounting the arches, and decorated ceiling beams. Under each of the arches is an inscription of a patriotic or memorial quotation. Two large bronze chandeliers hang from the ceiling. The ceiling lights in the gallery are handsome milk glass globes with incised or painted classical decoration. Similar globes are placed within the Memorial Hall chandeliers. In the central arches of the north and south walls are two large bronze plaques enframed with Carthage marble, giving the names of the honored dead. Originally, ticket windows were set into the easternmost arches between the memorial plaques and the outside doors. These openings were subsequently filled in to allow the placement of plaques giving the names of the World War II dead."
Book: Kansas

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 214

Year Originally Published: 1939

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.