Cathédrale Sainte-Cécile d'Albi
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 43° 55.709 E 002° 08.576
31T E 431203 N 4864287
Quick Description: Albi Cathedral, formally the Cathedral of Saint Cecilia, is the most important religious building in Albi, southern France, and the seat of the Archbishop of Albi. First building as a fortress begun in 1287 and was under construction for 200 years.
Location: Occitanie, France
Date Posted: 6/11/2013 12:13:58 PM
Waymark Code: WMH9J5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 5

Long Description:
Albi Cathedral is claimed to be the largest brick building in the world.

In 2010 the cathedral was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site (WH 1337)

The present cathedral was preceded by other buildings. The first dated from the fourth century and in 666 was destroyed by fire. The second is recorded in 920 by the name of Saint Cecilia, the present-day patroness of musicians. It was replaced in the thirteenth century by a Romanesque cathedral in stone.

The Brick Gothic cathedral was constructed in brick between 1287 to 1480 in the wake of the Albigensian heresy in the area. The government mounted a brutal crusade to suppress the Cathar rebellion, with great loss of life to area residents. In the aftermath of the bloodshed, the cathedral's dominant presence and fortress-like exterior were intended to convey the power and authority of the Christian faith. The instigator of the cathedral's construction was Bernard de Castanet, Bishop of Albi and Inquisitor of Languedoc. Work on the nave was completed about 1330.

The cathedral is built in the Southern Gothic Style. As suitable building stone is not found locally, the structure is built almost entirely of brick. Notable architectural features include the bell-tower (added in 1492), which stands 78 metres (256 ft) metres tall, and the doorway by Dominique de Florence (added circa 1392). The nave is the widest Gothic example in France at 60 feet (18 m). The interior lacks aisles which are replaced by rows of small chapels between brick internal buttresses, making Albi a hall church. Compared with regular Gothic, the buttreses are almost entrely submerged in the mass of the church. The principal entry is on the south side through an elaborate porch entered by a fortified stair, rather than through the west front, as is traditional in France.

The side chapels in the nave received overhead galleries in the 15th century, diminishing their impact..

The elaborate interior stands in stark contrast to the cathedral's military exterior. The central chœur, reserved for members of the religious order, is surrounded by a roodscreen with detailed filigree stone work and a group of polychrome statues. Below the organ, a fresco of the Last Judgement, attributed to unknown Flemish painters, originally covered nearly 200 m² (the central area was later removed). The frescoes on the enormous vaulted ceiling comprise the largest and oldest ensemble of Italian Renaissance painting in France.

The cathedral organ, the work of Christophe Moucherel, dates from the 18th century.

(visit link)
Type: Site

Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1337/

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Chickilim visited Cathédrale Sainte-Cécile d'Albi 4/30/2005 Chickilim visited it