Aubrey, TX - Population 2610
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 20.768 W 096° 58.103
14S E 689056 N 3691504
Quick Description: Aubrey, TX, population 2610 as of this posting. The sign is located on the west side of US 377, at Aubrey's northern city limits.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 5/22/2013 7:05:17 PM
Waymark Code: WMH4TH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 5

Long Description:
The Handbook of Texas has this to say about Aubrey: (visit link)

Aubrey is in the Cross Timbers region twelve miles northeast of Denton and forty miles north of Dallas in northeastern Denton County. The site was originally named Onega (Ornega, Ornego) when the Texas and Pacific Railway built a section house there in 1881. The same year the name Aubrey was drawn from a hat to replace the name Onega, which was not popular, and a charter for a post office, to be operated in the railroad depot, was granted. Although the Key Schoolhouse settlement, established in 1858 by Dr. George Key, was only about a mile from what became the downtown part of Aubrey, Lemual Noah Edwards, a Civil War veteran from Alabama, is given credit for founding the town. He built the town's second house, a large, imposing, two-story structure, of lumber hauled from Jefferson in 1867. After the first businesses, east of the railroad tracks, burned in 1887, the town was rebuilt west of the tracks, partially on land donated by Edwards. He also helped the town grow by giving each of his ten children land on which to build a home as a wedding present. By 1920 Aubrey had more than thirty businesses and a population of 700. The automobile, the boll weevil, and the Great Depression contributed to the decline of the population over the next several years. By the 1980s peanuts had replaced cotton as the number-one crop; an annual average of 3,000 tons is processed in the local drying plant. The sandy, fertile land and the moderate climate have attracted many horse ranchers to the area, which, according to some, is becoming the "horse capital" of Texas. Other farm products include cattle, hay, fruits, and vegetables. A number of cabinet shops are also located in the area. In 1980 Aubrey had a population of 948. In 1986 Ray Roberts Dam was completed nearby on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River. In 1990 Aubrey had a population of 1,138. By 2000 the population was 1,500.
Address: North city limits, west side of US 377

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
KidWrangler visited Aubrey, TX - Population 2610 11/27/2014 KidWrangler visited it
ocrazys visited Aubrey, TX - Population 2610 2/18/2014 ocrazys visited it
QuarrellaDeVil visited Aubrey, TX - Population 2610 5/22/2013 QuarrellaDeVil visited it

View all visits/logs