Aarebrücke - 1925 - Brugg, AG, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 29.168 E 008° 12.406
32T E 440243 N 5259493
Quick Description: The bridge that gave the town its name has a history of 2000 years, the current version of the bridge is from 1925.
Location:
Date Posted: 4/11/2013 1:30:46 AM
Waymark Code: WMGV87
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Jake39
Views: 1

Long Description:
The location of this bridge is the narrowest point of the river Aare in the Swiss midlands. At least since around 15 AD there was a wooden bridge as part of a Roman road. The town that developed around the bridge was called after the bridge; the earliest documented use of 'Bruggo' has been dated to the year 1064 (Brugg means "bridgge" in Alemannic). In the 13th century the bridge was fortified, one of the two towers is still standing. The last bridge was built in 1578 and elevated in 1837, then the northern tower was demolished. The current bridge was built in 1925.

The date stone is located at the western balustrade in the bridge center. The stone has the city's coat of a arms (this bridge) in the center and the dates:
1578 built; 1837 elevated; 1925 re-built.
Date built or dedicated as indicated on the date stone or plaque.: 1925

Date stone, plaque location.: bridge center

Road, body of water, land feature, etc. that the bridge spans.: river Aare

Website (if available): Not listed

Parking (safe parking location): Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
Please provide an original picture of the location and some original words regarding your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bridge Date Stones and Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.