Administration Building - Kansas - City of Lawrence
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 57.505 W 095° 14.862
15S E 305243 N 4314564
Quick Description: Strong Hall is a three-story terra-cotta clad building located at 1450 Jayhawk Blvd on the main Kansas University campus in Lawrence, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 3/18/2013 4:16:20 AM
Waymark Code: WMGKZR
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member ddtfamily
Views: 0

Long Description:
The ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, across the drive from Haworth Hall, is of Italian Renaissance design and constructed of brick faced terra cotta. It is the largest building on the campus, and contains the Brynwood Collection of paintings, loaned to the University by Chester Woodward, Topeka Alumnus. --Kansas: A Guide to the Sunflower State, 1939, page 226

My Commentary:

Strong Hall (Adminstration Building) is truly the heart beat of the University of Kansas. This building is 130 rooms, and houses most of the University's support staff for students, the Chancellor's office and staff, and some classrooms. More information on the building from the National Register application:
Click Link

"Strong Hall consists of a central element with connecting links to east and west wings. The style is Classical Revival. It is three stories with an above ground basement and a sub-basement. Because of the slope of the land, the basement windows on the south are partly below ground while on the north, the windows are all above ground. The height on the north side is seventy-nine feet with sixty-five feet on the south. The length of the building is 400 feet and seventy-five feet wide. The outside building material is terra cotta cast to match the natural limestone found on other University buildings. It has vertical ribbing with alternate stone courses. Brick is used for backing and the inside walls and the foundation is suppressed limestone. The roof is built up with a gravel topping. There are five skylights on each wing and two in the center section.

The front entrance faces south, 150 feet from Jayhawk Drive. On the west side of the building is Poplar Lane, a road starting at right angles to Jayhawk Drive, and curving around behind the building, meeting on the east with Mississippi Street. On the west side of Poplar Lane is Snow Hall. On the north side is Kenneth Spencer Research Library, and on the east is Bailey Hall. Double walks lead to the front entrance from the street. Walks also lead to the east and west entrances from the walk in front of the building.

There are seven semi-circular limestone steps leading to the main entrance where the entrance doors are recessed. Two metal handrails, that have been added recently, lead up these steps to the doors. Around the entrance is an overhanging Neo-Classical entablature that is supported by two pilasters on each side that rise above the architrave. The architrave has six lions' heads used as drains. Green glazed medallions in the shape of shields and enclosed by the scallop ornaments are above the pilaster. Between them is a square terra cotta panel. This panel was originally to be used for bas-relief of the nine muses. The bas-relief was also to have been on the north elevation but they both had to be eliminated because of lack of funds. Above the shields is a cornice with a band of decorated small projecting squares adjacent to a recessed square. This entablature is capped by an upward projecting square centered on the entrance facade.

The entire building's windows are double hung sash that have all been replaced over the years. Above each window on the first floor on the front facade is a flat arch with no rustication. The second floor windows have a flat arch with an enlarged decorative keystone rusticated voussoir. The suppressed pilasters begin at the base and go up to the entablature. This rhythm is carried out on the entire structure. The south facade has thirty windows to the right of the entrance and thirty windows to the left. The windows to the right of the entrance are in three groups. The first is a group of nine double hung sash, the second group a single, and the third group a group of three. The basement windows are below ground in an archway, which extends to the front of the east wing. The third floor windows are all half size double hung sash. Above the single windows on the first and second floor is a medallion on the third floor. Windows to the left of the entrance are in the same pattern as on the right. The second and third floors are divided by a string course with the egg and dart molding band that encircles the building. The basement windows, double hung sash, are in an areaway that continues to the front of the west wing. The third floor has two half size windows. The west side of the center section has two double hung windows on the first and second floors. There are no basement windows."
Book: Kansas

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 226

Year Originally Published: 1939

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.