Mount Saint Mary's Convent and Academy
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member heringermr
N 39° 12.850 W 121° 04.060
10S E 666824 N 4342322
Quick Description: This is the only surviving original orphanage in California and commemorates the Sisters of Mercy.
Location: California, United States
Date Posted: 3/14/2013 6:45:23 PM
Waymark Code: WMGK3V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
The building is three-stories, and was built at a cost of $19,856, including construction and interior furnishings.

* First floor - Construction: stone. Use: classrooms, dining room, kitchen, laundry, lavatory, store rooms.

* Second floor - Construction: brick. Use: chapel, classrooms, library, parlors.

* Third floor - Construction: brick. Use: dormitories, sleeping quarters, infirmary.

The Grass Valley Historic Preservation Committee is repairing and preserving the building and the Sisters' rose garden.

The plaque reads:

Built by Reverend Thomas J. Dalton, the Sacred Heart Convent and Holy Angels Orphanage was dedicated May 2, 1865 by Bishop Eugene O'Connell. Under the Sisters of Mercy, it served from 1866 to 1932 as the first orphanage of the Northern Mines. It functioned as an academy from 1868 to 1965 and as a convent from 1866 to 1968.
Marker Number: 855.00

Marker Name: MOUNT SAINT MARY'S CONVENT AND ACADEMY

County: Nevada

Has Official CA Plaque: yes

Marker Dedication Date: 4/24/1972

Location:
South Church St between Chapel and Dalton Sts, Grass Valley


Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Feel free to post a picture of you at the landmark site, but a photo is not required to log a visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest California Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.