Northern Alberta Railway Station - Peace River
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 56° 14.364 W 117° 17.564
11V E 481855 N 6232763
Quick Description: The Northern Alberta Railway Station was formally recognized as an Alberta Provincial Historic Resource on April 29, 1988.
Location: Alberta, Canada
Date Posted: 2/7/2013 12:38:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMGARM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wildwoodke
Views: 0

Long Description:
This station was built in 1916 by the Edmonton, Dunvegan & British Columbia Railway in their efforts to be the first railroad into the area, with the first train chugging into the station in August of that year. To be more specific, it was built by two Peace River men – Harry Edward Weaver and George Ellis (Bud) Devore.

Later several smaller railways were amalgamated into the Northern Alberta Railway, which operated the station until its closing for passenger service in 1956. Freight service continued until 1981, when the station was closed permanently. The nearby bridge over the Peace River was completed in November of 1918.

The building, after suffering a nearly disastrous fire in 1986, was restored by local rail historians and enthusiasts and was later reopened as the Peace River Tourist Information Centre.

The station's complete history can be found here: (visit link)

From Canada's Historic Places:
"The heritage value of the Peace River N.A.R. Station lies in its association with the construction of railway lines in northern Alberta during the 1910s, and in the high integrity and modern day rarity of its architectural design.

The transportation network in northern Alberta developed rapidly between 1912 and 1916. Eager to open the northern reaches of the province to settlement and commerce, the Government of Alberta incorporated three railway companies to provide rail service in the Peace Country. In 1916, one of these companies, the Central Canada Railway Corporation (C.C.R.C.), completed a line connecting Peace River Crossing with the Edmonton Dunvegan and British Columbia railway at McLennan. The Peace River railway station was built in the same year to serve this line.

The arrival of the railway in Peace River marked the final link joining the Peace Country to Edmonton and the national rail network. The Peace River N.A.R. Station was the entry point for thousands of settlers into northern Alberta and connected them to another vital transportation system, the riverboats that carried people and commerce up and down the big river. During the 1920s, this newly-developed network spurred the growth of agricultural settlement and economic development in Alberta's north.

The Peace River station exemplifies the simple, utilitarian architecture common to so many railway buildings from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Based on a standard design used throughout Alberta, the station includes a warehouse for freight, a waiting room for passengers, office space, and living quarters for the station agent. It is one of the few one-and-a-half storey railway stations remaining in Alberta and is a rare and remarkably well-preserved building from of the era of railway expansion in Alberta's north during the 1910s. Its historical legacy and architectural integrity make the station a significant landmark in the Peace Country.
Type of Marker: Cultural

Sign Age: Historic Site or Building Marker

Parking: Now a tourist info. centre - parking provided

Placement agency: Province of Alberta

Visit Instructions:
When entering a new log for visiting a waymark please provide a picture of your visit to the location and if you have an interesting alternate area or sign photo include that.

Please include any thoughts or historic information about the area that the marker may represent.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Alberta Heritage Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
BK-Hunters visited Northern Alberta Railway Station - Peace River 2/25/2014 BK-Hunters visited it