Louderback Building - Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 50.526 W 094° 42.364
15S E 349885 N 4189667
Quick Description: This is a two story red brick building located at 1-3 North Main in Fort Scott, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 12/30/2012 7:13:20 PM
Waymark Code: WMG11K
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 1

Long Description:
From the National Register application:
(visit link)

"Van Fossen Block Louderback Building, 1885, ca. 1980, Italianate style. Inventory: 01 1-1 830-00041; Status: contributing.

Description: This is a rectangular two-story brick commercial building with a low-sloping roof and parapet. It has a double storefront facing west and a rear storefront at the southeast corner of the block. The north storefront has a recessed central entrance. There is a central entrance to the second floor and the corner storefront has a recessed side entrance. The second floor front has seven bays with 212 wood, double-hung sashes. There are ornamental raised window hoods. There are similar windows and ornamentation on the second floor of the south facade. The eave is ornamented with elaborate corbelled, paneled, and molded brick detailing, and end blocks. The first floor storefront has been altered with non-historic sheathing display windows, and entrance doors. Window openings on the first floor of the south facade have been filled with brick. Also, there is a prominent two-story ornamented awning and balcony with a low sloping shingled roof supported on square posts.

History: This building was constructed in 1885 and occupied in April, 1886. Originally known as the Perry Van Fossen Block, the property belonged to the Louderback family for more than eighty years in the twentieth century. In 1889 the first floor of 1 North Main was occupied by the Boston Shoe House and the Missouri & Kansas Telephone Company. Later, there were dry good stores in the building. In 1909 it housed the Fort Scott State Bank. The Streeter Blair Clothing Store was located on the corner from circa 1918 until he moved across the street on October 29, 1920. By 1922, the Midwest State Bank was located here. In 1938 the Crown Drug Store was recorded at this address and remained for many years. Offices on the second floor housed attorneys and realtors, and by 1938, insurance agents. The adjacent storefront, 3 North Main, housed W. K. Poage, clothing, and the Western Union telegraph office in 1889. In 1918, the J. M. Bright clothing store occupied the storefront. After about 1930, it housed the Howell Rug Company and the Ellis Music Company. An optometrist, physician, and the James Burton Abstract office occupied offices on the second floor. The rear storefront, 111 East Wall, housed the Bank of Fort Scott, established in 1876, until the bank's owner, C. F. Drake, died in 1905.

Integrity: The building retains sufficient architectural integrity to be listed as a contributing resource.
"
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
1-3 North Main Ft. Scott, Ks. 66701


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Benchmark Blasterz visited Louderback Building - Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks 3/11/2013 Benchmark Blasterz visited it