The Stone Walls - Eureka Springs AR
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Where's George
N 36° 24.134 W 093° 44.244
15S E 433878 N 4028815
Quick Description: In this small town of hills and valleys, there are an estimated 56 miles of stone walls along the streets and property lines - amazing!!!
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 11/18/2012 10:55:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMFQDT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member arkansas stickerdude
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Stone Walls

Eureka Springs claims an estimated fifty-six miles of stone walls, skilled stonemasons constructed most of the walls between 1885 and 1910. The limestone used was sometimes quarried on site. But the majority was transported to the town site by horse drawn wagons or railroad flatcars from the quarry near Beaver, six miles away and the railroad junction 2 miles north of Eureka Springs.

In the first census of Eureka Springs in 1880, thirty men gave “stonemason” as their occupation. They were drawn to the new town where construction of dwellings and commercial buildings went on all day and far into the night to keep up with demand. Stonemasons built mainly foundations and retaining walls for the early wood structures. Major fires in 1883 and 1888 brought about a change to stone and brick construction to safeguard against fire.

In 1890, a project to improve and widen the town’s main streets and beautify its public places resulted in building many miles of stone walls. This was a massive project as stonemasons constructed walls as much as twenty feet high along Spring, Howell, and Main, the Boulevard and other streets. Walls were built on either side of the stream flowing down main street and connected by arched stone bridges.

The best known wall builders in Eureka Springs during its first half century were James M. Waldrip and his sons, William, James and John. The Waldrip brothers built miles of walls and created finely crafted stonework to enhance several spring reservations under the directions of the Board of Public Affairs.

Sam A. Leath, Chamber of Commerce Director, devised the estimate of 56 miles of walls about 1948 as a new era of tourism began. Ripley’s “Believe it or Not” features in newspapers, radio and television, illustrated the oddities of Eureka Springs more times than any other city, including “230 Winding, Twisting streets,” and “Rock Walls . . . miles and miles of them”.

Since the 1970 designation of Eureka Springs as a National Register Historic District, more miles of walls have been built in restoration and preservation efforts. Stonemasons as skilled as those who first arrived in Eureka Springs in 1880 continue to create stone walls of great beauty and lasting quality.
Link to Marker: [Web Link]

History of Marker: Not listed

Additional Parking: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you. And if you like a picture of you and GPS at the marker.
No copyrighted images without permission.
Credit must be given for web exerpts.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Arkansas Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.