Ohio Block - Hornaday, Howard Bldg. - Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 50.458 W 094° 42.315
15S E 349955 N 4189540
Quick Description: The Ohio Block - Hornaday, Howard Bldg. is located at 121 E. 1st Street in Ft. Scott, Ks. It is a two story red brick building.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 11/7/2012 6:48:58 PM
Waymark Code: WMFN9E
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 0

Long Description:
From National Register Application:
(visit link)

"Ohio Block, Hornaday-Howard Building, 1906, Renaissance style. Inventory: 01 1-1 830-001 18; Status: contributing.

Description: This is a rectangular two-story brick building with a stone water fable and foundation and a flat roof and parapet. It has three main bays with an arcade of three storefronts divided into nine bays by ornamental cast iron posts supporting a storefront lintel. Storefronts have recessed central entrances flanked by large display windows and transoms. There are four windows arranged asymmetrically in each bay. Window openings have smooth-cut stone sills with segmental brick arches accentuated with end stones. There is a raised brick dentil molding at the eave, a projecting belt course, and a central stepped parapet with the name, "Ohio Block," and the construction date, 1906. There is a slightly projecting eave cap and two chimneys.

History: In the June, 1906 Sanborn map, a two-story brick building with three sections (from plans) was recorded. The west was to be storage, the center, a-restaurant, and the east section, a steam laundry. Apparently, the interior was subdivided because the July, 1912 Sanborn map recorded five sections: 113 East First, Wells Fargo Express; 115, tailor; 117, plumbing; 119, laundry; and 123, Fort Scott Laundry. Those sections were identified in the 1909 city directory as the Wells Fargo Express, Henry Brown, tailor, Gem Hotel, and the Fort Scott Steam Laundry. Reportedly, Q. L. Cooper leased the center two storerooms for a restaurant and boarding house and the eastern half of the second floor for lodging rooms. W. J. Calhoun and Company leased the western half of the second floor. Later, the building housed the Courtland Hotel.

Integrity: The building retains sufficient architectural integrity to be listed as a contributing resource."
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
121 E 1st. Street Ft. Scott, Ks. 66701


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.