Eagles Hall - Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 50.480 W 094° 42.308
15S E 349966 N 4189580
Quick Description: The Eagles Hall is a two story red brick building located at 14-16 Scott Avenue.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 11/5/2012 6:04:22 PM
Waymark Code: WMFMYZ
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 0

Long Description:
From the National Register Application:
(visit link)

""14 Scott Avenue. Eagles Hall, 1924, Commercial style. Inventory: 01 1-1830-00121 Status: contributing.

Description: This is a rectangular two-story brick commercial building with a central entrance and side entrance to the south leading to the second floor. It has a flat roof and parapet. The storefront has two bays with overhead transoms. There is a glazed paneled wooden entrance door. There are two window bays on the second floor with three 911 double-hung windows each. The facade as raised brick end piers, a decorative parapet with a central raised semicircular arch, and the Fraternal Order of Eagles emblem set under the parapet arch. Alterations include non-historic awnings on the storefront and above each window bay. There is a nonhistoric metal security door on the second floor entrance. A non-historic shed-roofed addition is attached to the southwest corner of the building.

History: This building was constructed on the site of the C. W. Goodlander undertaking business. Previously, the Eagles Lodge met at the Tremont Hotel and they purchased that building in 1910. After constructing this building the Eagle's aerie occupied the second floor with a bar, poolroom, meeting room, and dance floor. The first floor was a bakery. The Junge Baking Company (with headquarters in Joplin) operated at this location from the 1930s until the early 1950s. Later, the building housed an implement dealership operated first by Fred Bland and then Charles Magee. The property was recorded as a two-story brick store with lodge hall on the second floor in the September, 1925 Sanborn map.

Integrity: The building retains sufficient architectural integrity to be listed as a contributing resource.""
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Fort Scott Downtown Historic District - Fort Scott, Ks

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
14-16 Scott Avenue Ft. Scott, Ks. 66701


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Narrative found on the internet (Link provided below)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.