Forte de São João Baptista - Vila do Conde, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 41° 20.510 W 008° 45.090
29T E 520790 N 4576734
Quick Description: [PT]O Forte de São João Baptista, localiza-se na foz do rio Ave, na cidade de Vila do Conde.[EN] The Fort of São João Baptista, is located at the mouth of Ave river in Vila do Conde.
Location: Porto, Portugal
Date Posted: 9/28/2012 4:37:57 PM
Waymark Code: WMFCJF
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member coisos
Views: 3

Long Description:
[PT]
"Desde a Idade Média que a protecção da foz do rio Ave preocupava os governantes de Vila do Conde. Em meados do século XIII a povoação detinha alguma importância como porto de pesca e estaleiro naval, pelo que a defesa da barra do rio face aos ataques de pirataria era fundamental. Foi então edificada uma torre junto à Ermida de Nossa Senhora da Guia, na foz do rio, por ordem do infante Afonso Sanches, filho de D. Dinis.
Embora este fortim se tenha mantido activo até ao século XIX, a sua eficácia na defesa do rio foi-se tornando insuficiente, e por este motivo D. Duarte, 5.º duque de Guimarães e senhor de Vila do Conde, mandou edificar nos finais do século XVI uma fortaleza no mesmo local, cuja traça é atribuída ao engenheiro Filippo Terzi.
A estrutura do forte insere-se na tipologia utilizada na arquitectura militar da época. De planta poligonal, a fortaleza possui cinco baluartes, para os quais teria sido projectado um igual número de guaritas; destas apenas foram edificadas três. Sobre a porta de armas, com moldura em arco de volta perfeita, foi colocado o escudo de armas de Portugal. No interior da praça de armas subsistem ainda as casamatas, diferenciando-se as divisões da casa do governador, a cozinha, o paiol, os restos de uma capela.
As obras de edificação da fortaleza iriam arrastar-se pelo século XVII. D. Teodósio, 7.º duque de Bragança, retomou a construção do forte, designando como responsável pela mesma o engenheiro António de Vila-Lobos. No entanto as obras só seriam concluídas em 1642, quando D. João IV ordenou a conclusão da muralha leste e o reforço da guarnição, face às necessidades de defesa das Guerras de Restauração.
Depois de 1834 o Forte de São João Baptista deixou de ter guarnição, sendo a partir de então utilizado para o registo de entrada e saída de embarcações da barra do Ave. Quase votado ao abandono no século XX, foi recuperado na década de 90 através do aproveitamento do espaço para a edificação de uma unidade hoteleira."

Fonte: (visit link)


[EN]
"Since the Middle Ages that protecting the mouth of the river Ave worried the rulers of Vila do Conde. In the mid-thirteenth century the village had some importance as a fishing and shipyard, so the defense bar of the river against the attacks of piracy was essential. It was then built a tower near the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Guia, at the mouth of the river, by order of Prince Afonso Sanches, son of D. Dinis.
Although this fort has remained active until the nineteenth century, its effectiveness in protecting the river was becoming insufficient, and for this reason D. Duarte, 5. º Duke of Guimarães and master the Vila do Conde, had built in the late sixteenth century a fortress on the same site, which is attributed to traces engineer Filippo Terzi.
The structure of the fort is part of the typology used in military architecture of the time. Of polygonal, the fortress has five bastions, for which it would have been projected to equal number of watchtowers; these only three were built. Over the door of weapons, framed in round arch, was placed the coat of arms of Portugal. Inside the square of the weapons bunkers still exist, differing divisions of the governor's house, the kitchen, the barn, the remains of a chapel.
The works of construction of the fortress would drag up by the seventeenth century. D. Theodosius 7. º Duke of Bragança, resumed construction of the fort, as responsible for designating the same engineer Antonio de Villa-Lobos. However the works were completed only in 1642, when D. João IV ordered the completion of the east wall and the strengthening of the garrison, face the defense needs of the Wars of Restoration.
After 1834 the Fort of São João Baptista ceased to trim, and thereafter used for recording entry and exit of vessels from the bar Almost Ave doomed to abandonment in the twentieth century, was recovered in the 90 through use of space for the building of a hotel."

From: (visit link)
Designação (Name): Forte de São João Baptista

Categoria de protecção (Classification): IIP - Imóvel de Interesse Público

Categoria/Tipologia (Type of heritage): Arquitectura Militar / Forte

Concelho (City): Vila do Conde

Página do Património na base de dados do IGESPAR (Page of the Heritage at the IGESPAR database): [Web Link]

Wikipedia: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[PT]
- Por favor forneça pelo menos uma foto tirada durante a sua visita.
- Por favor escreva um pouco sobre a sua visita. Diga o que achou. Gostou?

[ENG]
- Please provide at least a photo you have taken during your visit.
- And please write a little about your visit. Tell us what you thought, did you liked it?

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Património Português (Portuguese Heritage)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.