London Fire Brigade Shadwell Fire Station
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 30.664 W 000° 03.353
30U E 704289 N 5710769
Quick Description: This fire station is located at the south side of Cable Street in Shadwell, London.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/9/2012 10:54:18 AM
Waymark Code: WMED1N
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Kurt Franke
Views: 0

Long Description:

The signage, over the three fire engine doors, reads "London County Council London Fire Brigade".

The EDP24 website (visit link) tells us that the station is to be revamped:

"The oldest surviving fire station in London’s East End is being rebuilt as part of a Fire Brigade deal with private contractors.

Shadwell, which marked its centenary in 2010, is one of nine fire stations across London which are to be rebuilt and then maintained by the Blue3 Group in a £57 million private finance contract.

Work is expected to start in June next year, once planning consent is given, but Shadwell will continue operating while refurbishment at the Cable Street site is carried out.

The Brigade, which is applying to Tower Hamlets Council for planning permission in the next 12 months, is now working on arrangements to ensure emergency cover is not interrupted.

Three other fire-stations in east London are also being refurbished in the deal, Plaistow, Leytonstone and Dagenham, in addition to two in south-east London, Dockhead in Bermondsey and the Old Kent Road, and three others at Orpington, Purley and Mitcham.

Brigade Assistant Commissioner Andy Hickmott said: “Some fire stations are more than 100 years old and are simply not fit for modern purposes. They need to be brought up-to-date.”

The private funding provides investment without dipping into the public purse. The deal means a project like a new fire station is designed, built, financed and operated by a private consortium under a contract that would typically last 30 years.

The last major revamp in the East End was the new Millwall fire station opened four years ago on the Isle of Dogs, close to Canary Wharf, replacing the one in Manchester Road first opened in 1905.
"

The East London Postcard website (visit link) gives some history of fire stations in Shadwell:

"The Shadwell Fire Station was built in 1881 at 9 Glamis Road. However, the history of a public fire service in Shadwell goes back much further, in fact, to the time of the Vestry form of Local Government.

The Shadwell Vestry was compelled by an Act of Parliament of 1707 to keep in the Parish a Fire Pump, to be drawn by hand and manned by local parishioners. When the Shadwell Institute was built, in the early 1800s, on part of St Pauls’ Churchyard, the opportunity was taken to include room for a Fire Station. This housed the Parish Pump, buckets, hoses and harnesses and its two large doors fronting Shadwell High Street, now The Highway.

In 1835 the London Fire Engine Establishment(LFEE) was formed. The LFEE decided to convert, in 1862, a Beer Retailer’s Shop at 118 Cock Hill, Ratcliff, now The Highway, into a Fire Station with room for two fire appliances and horses. When in 1866, a professional fire fighting force, the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, was formed from the LFEE, the Parish Pump ceased to exist.

The Fire Station at Cock Hill, itself closed when the new four storey Fire Station in Glamis Road opened. The Shadwell Fire Station had room for two fire appliances and an observation platform on the roof. In 1902, Motor Cars were introduced into the service and these slowly replaced horses. Then in 1904 the Metropolitan Fire Brigade was renamed the London Fire Brigade.

Changes in technology made the Shadwell Fire Station obsolete. Another new Fire Station was built nearby in Cable Street in 1937 and the Glamis Road one closed. However, it was not to remain closed. The Old Shadwell Fire Station was reopened at the start of Second World War as an Auxiliary Fire Service Station. The fireman at the station played an important part, especially during the Blitz, fighting huge fires in the London Docks and surrounding area. This was the front line and the area was devastated.

The Fire Station closed again after the War and was pulled down in the early 1960s. The site of the Old Shadwell Fire Station is now part of Glamis Estate.
"

Paid or Volunteer: Paid

Has 911 Dispatch: yes

Has Emergency Call Box: yes

Physical Address:
Cable Street
Shadwell
London, United Kingdom
E1 0BX


Rating:

EMS Involvement: Not Listed

Has Emergency Siren: Not Listed

Has Fire Pole: Not Listed

Average Alarms Per Year: Not Listed

Number of Firetrucks: Not Listed

Related Website: Not listed

Number of Emergency Staff: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
The only requirement is to visit this location physically, in person, and write about your experience.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Firehouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.