Henry Spangler Farm House - Gettysburg, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 48.511 W 077° 14.961
18S E 307451 N 4408925
Quick Description: The original structures on the farm including the farm house were constructed circa 1820 by George Plank. The farm was purchased by Henry Spangler in 1862. Today the house has been rehabbed in many ways and is a beautiful addition to the district.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 4/14/2012 8:27:27 PM
Waymark Code: WME7MH
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Turtle3863
Views: 2

Long Description:

The Battle of Gettysburg, like almost all Civil War battles, raged over the private property of ordinary farmers and citizens. The buildings on these properties, if they were not destroyed, were often converted into field hospitals to treat wounded and dying soldiers. Such was the case with the Spangler Farm House. Wounded Union soldiers were taken to a field hospital established at and around the Spangler farmhouse. The soldiers who died there were buried on Spangler’s property.

The farm bore is share of destruction from the battle, the barn bearing the brunt of the War. The original barn was burned during the battle of July 2, 1863, and a new barn was rebuilt on its foundations. Henry Spangler’s farm was just behind the fighting on Culp’s Hill.

In March 2011, the Civil War Trust embarked upon a project to preserve two key parcels along the historic Baltimore Pike. During the Battle of Gettysburg these parcels were part of Henry Spangler's farm, where scores of Union and Confederate dead were buried. The following was taken from the Civil War Trust site: Burial records indicate the names and units of more than 70 soldiers buried on Spangler’s property. The greatest number was buried on “the north side of the field, near the woods.” This group included 25 soldiers of the 137th New York, including two 18-year olds – Benjamin Clark and Ira Martin -- both from Danby, New York. Pennsylvanian James O. Butcher was buried "on the north side of H. Spangler's house,", in addition to John Williams, the 18-year old Ohioan who was buried in his orchard. Other listings for Spangler's property are not so specific. Thomas Ochs of the 109th PA, for instance, was buried on Spangler's property, "near the road," perhaps on the very land that we preserved in 2011. SOURCE

Henry Spangler Farm House is a contributing feature to the Gettysburg National Military Park Historic District which is nationally significant under NR Criteria A, B, C & D for association Areas of Significance: Military, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Conservation, Archeology-Historic. Period of Significance: 1863-1938. The original National Register Nomination was approved by the Keeper March 19, 1975. An update to this nomination was approved by the Keeper on January 23, 2004. The house is registered as structure number 139 on the nomination form.

From the Nomination Form:
Architecturally significant through use of log plank, stone, brick, & board & batten, executed in vernacular style. Historically significant to Battle, sited 250 yds forward of CSA Seminary Ridge line & forming line of Pickett's charge.

The building is located on the reverse slope of the Emmitsburg Road Ridge and was incorporated into the battle line of Pickett’s Division prior to its attack against Union lines on July 3. Although the barn was burned during the battle, damage to the house was apparently limited to its contents (most of which were carried away for use by Confederate troops). Private owners replaced most of the exposed interior fabric in the 1920s-1930s, including the stair access to the second floor. NPS rehabilitated the kitchen in the late 1980s.

Short Physical Description:
"L" Plan house. 2-story, 3 bay, 2 room, dbl pen log plank w/ board & batten portion 29'x 21', brick & stone portion 20'x 29'. 2 shed roof porches, 1 at facade, 1 at side.

Long Physical Description:
House (1820) is a two-story log hall and parlor style, vernacular farmhouse with board and batten siding. It measures 29.0 x 21.0 feet. It has a brick and stone ell to the rear that measures 20.0 x 29.0 feet. There are two shed roof porches, one on the front and one on the south side. The house and ell rest on a stone foundation and the gable roof is covered with wood shingles.



My Sources
1. NRHP Nomination Form
2. Draw the Sword
5. Civil War Trust
6. Gettysburg Daily

Related Website: [Web Link]

Terrain Rating:

Visit Instructions:
To post a log for this waymark a photo of you, the sign at the waymark with your GPS in view must be uploaded.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. Civil War Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.