Red Lick, TX - Population 853
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 27.615 W 094° 09.568
15S E 392250 N 3702914
Quick Description: Red Lick, TX, population 853 as of this posting. The sign is located on the east side of FM 2148 N, north of IH 30 and south of where CR 2213 intersects FM 2148 N.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 3/28/2012 5:48:27 PM
Waymark Code: WME36X
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 3

Long Description:
Per the Handbook of Texas Online (slightly edited): (visit link)

Red Lick is a small town located off FM 2148 about seven miles west of Texarkana in northeastern Bowie County. The community began in the 1860s and was named by residents who observed that a nearby red clay hill served as a salt lick for area deer. By the late 1800s social life centered around the Red Lick Methodist Episcopal Church, South, founded in 1885. The Bob Bonner family donated land for the wooden structure that also functioned as a lodge hall and school. Eventually a cemetery was located on an adjacent tract to the north. Church records in the early 1890s listed seventy names, and in 1906 church trustees included members of the Hargis, Earnest, Edwards, Medley, and White families. In 1909 a fire destroyed the church, but the congregation constructed another two-story building on that site. That structure suffered heavy damage in June 1935 when a tornado hit the community. Red Lick maintained its country school throughout the decades just prior to and after World War II. FM 2148 was built through the area in the 1950s. In 1968 the church name was changed to Red Lick United Methodist Church. No population figures were available for Red Lick throughout most of the twentieth century until 1990, when the village had an estimated 448 residents. The Methodist church received a historical marker in 1992. Residents, concerned over the encroachment of nearby Texarkana, voted to incorporate Red Lick in 1997, and in 2000 the town had a mayor and council and a volunteer fire department. The population was 853.
Address: South city limit, on east side of FM 2148 N

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.