Église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul, Laval Qc
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member scalaire
N 45° 36.919 W 073° 38.713
18T E 605628 N 5052200
Quick Description: l'église Saint-Vincent-de-Paul
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 3/26/2012 4:39:46 PM
Waymark Code: WME2QX
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 28

Long Description:
Depuis 1698, rattachés à la paroisse de Repentigny, les colons construisent et utilisent, à partir de 1702, une première chapelle dédiée à l'Enfant-Jésus que dessert l'abbé Pierre Voland de Saint-Claude. En 1706, une église, la première de l'Île-Jésus, est construite et placée sous le patronage de Saint-François-de-Sales. Le premier curé est l'abbé Jean-François de Buisson de Saint-Côme.

Les premières racines de la paroisse de Saint-Vincent-de-Paul sont plantées le 16 mars 1740 par le biais d'une requête de l'intendant Gilles Hocquart qui ordonne la fondation de deux nouvelles paroisses sur l'Île-Jésus. Une église est construite à Sainte-Rose, mais les habitants de la côte sud ayant changé d'avis, la paroisse de Saint-Vincent-de-Paul ne voit le jour que trois ans plus tard. Entre temps, de 1740 à 1743, les fidèles assistent aux offices de Saint-François-de-Sales et celles de la paroisse de Sault-aux-Récollets, mais en janvier 1743, une demande d'ouverture du culte à Saint-Vincent-de-Paul est finalement adressée à l'évêque. Un mandement en date du 5 février 1743, Mgr Henri-Marie Dubreuil de Pontbriand, dernier évêque de Québec sous le régime français, procède au démembrement de Saint-François-de-Sales et à la création d'une nouvelle entité paroissiale sous le vocable de Saint-Vincent-de-Paul. L'érection canonique de la paroisse ne viendra toutefois que le 25 novembre 1841 par Mgr Ignace Bourget, évêque de Montréal.

En 1744, l'abbé Olivier-Marie Semelle, premier curé, met en chantier son église paroissiale qui servit au culte pendant une centaine d'années. L'édifice, construit par Jean-Baptiste Deguire sur une période d'environ huit ans, est situé au pied du coteau de la Pinière, la façade tournée vers l'est ou le bas du courant sur le bord de l'eau. Les murs étaient de pierre des champs et le reste de la charpente en bois, comme le voulaient les techniques architecturales de l'époque. Le presbytère est construit durant la période estivale de 1743 et les travaux se terminent en octobre.

La population augmente si bien dans les années 1800 que la petite église ne subvient plus aux besoins des nombreux habitants. En 1853, le curé Norbert Lavallée, onzième curé de la paroisse, fait bâtir l'église actuelle, qui fut placée sur le haut du coteau et non plus au bord de l'eau. L'architecture de l'église est confiée à Victor Bourgeau et la construction est confiée à l'entrepreneur Célestin Labelle et le charpentier Jean-Baptiste Joly. Les travaux débutent le 3 mai 1854. Le nouvel édifice est béni le 27 décembre 1855 par Mgr Joseph Larocque, évêque coadjuteur de Montréal. En 1857, la première église est démolie, mais les autels, la chaire, les bancs et le lustre sont transportés dans le nouveau bâtiment. La nouvelle église sera consacrée le 28 mai 1874 par Mgr Édouard-Charles Fabre, évêque de Montréal.

L'édifice est rectangulaire avec choeur en saillie et abside en hémicycle. Les murs des longs pans et de l'abside sont en pierre des champs, tandis que la façade est en pierre de taille, provenant sans doute des carrières qui se trouvaient alors à proximité. Flanqué de ses deux imposantes tours, que surmontent fièrement les flèches élancées des ses clochers, l'édifice accuse un équilibre remarquable et s'affirme avec beaucoup d'élégance. L'intérieur, de style roman de la Renaissance, retient principalement l'attention par la justesse de ses proportions, l'harmonie des agencements architecturaux et la qualité des éléments qui agrémentent l'ensemble. La décoration originelle, qui conjuguait avec un goût sûr le pur blanc des murs, des colonnes et de la voûte, avec l'or des pièces ornementales, finies à la feuille, conférait au temple une beauté parfaitement adaptée à sa fonction et à son style architectural. C'est certainement l'une des belles églises du Québec.

Le deuxième presbytère, bâti en 1862 et mesurant 19,2 mètres (40 pieds) de long sur 11 mètres (36 pieds) de large et 7,9 mètres (26 pieds) de haut, est démoli en août 1963 pour faire place à une nouvelle maison curiale.

Durant les années 1960, peu après la réforme liturgique de Vatican II, l'église a subi des transformations pas toujours heureuses. Malgré cela, les paroissiens sont toujours désireux de redonner à l'église son cachet d'antan et le bâtiment n'en demeure pas moins un monument religieux de belle allure et un endroit de culte qui favorise le recueillement.

La municipalité de paroisse de Saint-Vincent-de-Paul devient ville de Duvernay, le 6 février 1957 et, le 6 août 1965, elle est fusionnée avec treize autres municipalités pour former la ville de Laval.

L'orgue

Un premier instrument, construit par Eusèbe Brodeur, de Saint-Hyacinthe, est inauguré le 19 juillet 1877. Cet inistrument est remplacé par l'instrument actuel, construit en 1946 par la maison Casavant Frères. Cet instrument est très représentatif de ce que faisait Casavant à cette époque pour des instruments de taille moyenne.

D'abord installé sur la tribune arrière, l'instrument a été déplacé dans le choeur,dans les années 1960. Faute de place, la Flûte 16' de la pédale a été retirée.
ref: (visit link)


_____________________________________________________________________

Since 1698, attached to the Repentigny parish, the settlers build and use, from 1702, a first chapel devoted to the Child-Jesus served by Rev Pierre Voland de Saint-Claude. In 1706, a church, the first one on Jesus Island, is built and dedicated to St François-de-Sales. The first parish priest is Rev Jean-François de Buisson of Saint-Côme.

The roots of the St Vincent-de-Paul parish date from March 16th, 1740 when a request by the colony treasurer, Gilles Hocquart, orders the foundation of two new parishes on Jesus Island. A church is built in St Rose, but since the south coast settlers have a change of mind, the St Vincent-de-Paul parish is created only three years later. From 1740 till 1743, the settlers must attend religious services in St François-de-Sales church or in Sault-aux-Récollets parish. In January 1743, a request for opening a place of worship in St Vincent-de-Paul is finally sent to the bishop. On February 5th, 1743, Bishop Henri-Marie Dubreuil de Pontbriand, last Bishop of Quebec under the French regime, undertakes to break-up St François-de-Sales parish and create a new parish entity dedicated to St Vincent-de-Paul. The canonical erection of the parish will be effective on November 25th, 1841 by Bishop Ignace Bourget, of Montreal.

In 1744, Rev Olivier-Marie Semelle, the first parish priest, undertakes the construction of the parish church which will be used as aplace of worship during a hundred years. The church, built by Jean-Baptiste Deguire over an eight-year period, is located at the foot of the Pinière, the facade turned eastward by the waterside. Walls were made of field stones and the rest is made of wooden framework, as is was required by the architectural techniques of that time. The prebytery is built during the summer period of 1743 and is completed in October.

In the 1800s, population grew rapidly and the church is considered too small for the needs of the many parishioners. In 1853, Rev Norbert Lavallée, the eleventh parish priest, undertakes the construction of the actual church, which is located on the top of the slope and no longer by the waterside. The architecture of the church is entrusted to Victor Bourgeau and construction to contractor Célestin Labelle and master carpenter Jean-Baptiste Joly. Construction starts on May 3rd, 1854. The new building is blessed on December 27th, 1855 by Bishop Joseph Larocque, coadjutor Bishop of Montreal. In 1857, the first church is demolished, but altars, pulpit, benches and chandelier are transported into the new building. The new church is dedicated on May 28th, 1874 by Bishop Édouard-Charles Fabre, of Montreal.

The building is rectangular with a protruding chancel and a semi-circular apse. The lateral walls and the apse are made of field stones, while the facade is paleolith, coming probably from nearby quarries. With its two imposing towers topped by slender steeples, the building shows a remarkable balance and a lot of elegance. The interior, of Renaissance Romanesque style, is remarquable for the appropriateness of its proportions, the harmony of its architectural layout and the quality of its elements. The original decoration which combines the pure whiteness of the walls, columns and vault, with ornamental elements gilded with gold leaf gave the church a beauty perfectly adapted to its function and to its architectural style. It is indeed one of the most beautiful churches in Quebec.

The second presbytery, built in 1862 and measuring 40 feet (19.2 meters) long on 36 feet (11 meters) wide and 26 feet (7.9 meters) high, was demolished in August, 1963 to make room for a new building.

In the 1960s, shortly after Vatican II liturgical reform, the church is subjected to transformations not always for better. Nevertheless, the parishioners are eager to give the church its bygone cachet and the building remains a nice religious monument and a place of worship which favours meditation.

The municipality of St Vincent-de-Paul parish became city of Duvernay, on February 6th, 1957 and, on August 6th, 1965, it is merged with thirteen other municipalities to create the city of Laval.

The organ

A first instrument, built by Eusèbe Brodeur, of St Hyacinthe, is inaugurated on July 19th, 1877. The instrument is replaced with the actual isntrument, built in 1946 by Casavant Frères. The actuel instrument is a good example of what was built as medium sized instrument by Casavant Frères at that time.

Initially installed on the rear gallery, it has been moved into the chancel in the 1960s. Dur to lack of space, the pedal's 16' Flute has been removed.
ref: (visit link)
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 5/28/1874

Archdiocese: Montréal

Diocese: Montréal

Address/Location:
5443, boulevard Lévesque Est
Laval, Qc Canada
H7C 1N8 T


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point