Detroit, TX - Population 732
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 39.734 W 095° 15.154
15S E 291139 N 3726983
Quick Description: Detroit, TX, population 732 as of this posting. The sign is located at the eastern city limits right before US 82 intersects with FM 2573.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 3/14/2012 10:31:36 AM
Waymark Code: WMDZQG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 3

Long Description:
Franklin D. Roosevelt's first vice-president, John Nance Garner, was from the Detroit area.

Slightly edited from (visit link)

Detroit, Texas is located just inside the western edge of Red River County on US Highway 82 at the intersection of FM 410 which runs north and south through town. In 1873 the Texas and Pacific Railroad was plotted through the area. At that time there was no Detroit, the nearest settlement known as Bennet was located about two miles Southwest. The railroad plotted a town site next to the tracks. On May 23, 1887, the name of the town was changed to Detroit by the local railroad agent who renamed it after his hometown in Michigan. By 1897, Detroit was the rail head for a vast area stretching from Southeastern Oklahoma on the north to Sulphur River on the south. In 1897, there were three medical doctors, and one dentist. The Detroit Herald was published by John Custer. The railroad brought about 40 years of steady growth and by 1910 its population had reached 1,200, according to Texas Historical Society records. The era of the rail traffic has since gone by the way, the rails and tracks were removed in 1996.

Detroit is proud of its independent school district. Its elementary campus on the south side of town consists of grades kindergarten through grade five as well as classes for Head-Start for children age three and four. The high school and junior high campus are located on the north side of town on FM 410.

Detroit is home to a Masonic Lodge, as well as a very active Lions Club which was responsible for the renovation of the 100 year old tabernacle which is located on E Garner St next door to the city hall. In earlier days the tabernacle was the meeting place for revival meetings in the summer and is presently used for that as well as other community activities.
Address: Eastern city limit, east of the intersection of US 82 and FM 2573.

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Dancing_Duo visited Detroit, TX - Population 732 5/27/2012 Dancing_Duo visited it
QuarrellaDeVil visited Detroit, TX - Population 732 2/9/2012 QuarrellaDeVil visited it

View all visits/logs