Richard Henry Wood, Little Church Street, Rugby, Warwickshire.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member greysman
N 52° 22.250 W 001° 15.709
30U E 618333 N 5803706
Quick Description: Richard Henry Wood and his wife were co-founders of St.Cross Hospital just to the south of Rugby.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 2/20/2012 2:40:27 PM
Waymark Code: WMDRXE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Touchstone
Views: 0

Long Description:
Richard Henry Wood, 1820 - 1908, was born in Manchester and was very sucessful as a sharebroker. He moved to this house in Rugby around 1874 and became a J.P. and a Deputy Lieutenant of the County.

He became aware of the poor medical facilities locally and in 1882 he and his wife Elizabeth gave the town some land and £10000 to build what became a new hospital, St.Cross, opened in 1884.

Richard founded the Wood Institute for adult learning and in 1890 he bought the houses owned by the Bloxam Brothers, an old school in St.Matthews Street, and gave it to the town for use as a library, it has now been rebuilt.

He moved to Sidmouth in 1895 but made several further substantial gifts to the hospital including a bequest.

The building he lived in is now the Bursary of Rugby School
Blue Plaque managing agency: Rugby Borough Council

Physical Address:
Rugby School Bursary
10 Little Church Streeet
Rugby, Warwickshire UK


Individual Recognized: Not listed

Web Address: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blue Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.