Portais da Extinta Igreja de Santa Ana - Coimbra, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 40° 12.538 W 008° 25.506
29T E 548923 N 4451109
Quick Description: [PT]Os Portais da Extinta Igreja de Santa Ana que foram colocados na Igreja de São João de Almedina.[EN]The Gates of Extinct Church of Santa Ana that have been placed in the Church of St. John Almedina.
Location: Coimbra, Portugal
Date Posted: 2/18/2012 7:41:39 AM
Waymark Code: WMDR86
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member coisos
Views: 1

Long Description:
[PT]
"O primitivo convento das eremitas de Santo Agostinho de Santa Ana, conhecido por Celas da Ponte, foi fundado no último quartel do século XII. No entanto, o açoreamento do Mondego implicou o abandono deste edifício e a mudança das freiras para uma quinta situada em São Martinho, doada pelo bispo-conde D. João Soares em 1561. A primeira pedra do novo mosteiro foi lançada a 23 de Junho de 1600, estando o edifício concluído em 1610, ano em que as freiras passaram a habitar as suas novas instalações, conforme refere a inscrição patente num dos portais da igreja.
Estes são contemporâneos da construção conventual do início do século XVII, denunciando características maneiristas que, segundo Pedro Dias, se inspiram em modelos renascentistas locais, patentes na linguagem decorativa e na desproporção evidente.
Já no século XIX e em consequência da Extinção dos Conventos, as religiosas do Real Colégio Ursulino das Chagas instalam-se em Santa Ana, coexistindo as duas comunidades. Em Dezembro de 1851 as freiras são integradas no Colégio de São José dos Marianos, e o edifício abandonado acaba por ser adaptado a quartel militar do regimento de infantaria 12 no decorrer da primeira década do século XX. Nesta época o túmulo do Bispo Conde D. Duarte de Castelo Branco, que foi padroeiro do convento, transferiu-se para o claustro da Sé Velha. Na mesma época deverão ter sido levados também os portais da igreja e portaria para o Museu Machado de Castro e posteriomente aplicados na igreja de São João de Almedina, onde ainda se encontram.
O portal principal do convento foi colocado na entrada para o actual museu. O seu nicho, agora vazio, exibia uma imagem das Santas Mães do século XIV (que actualmente integra do acervo do museu), em que se destacava Santa Ana, a quem o convento era dedicado. O segundo portal, que é hoje a entrada lateral do museu, conserva as esculturas originais."


From: (visit link)


[EN]
"The original convent of the hermits of St. Augustine of Santa Ana, known as Cells of the Bridge, was founded in the last quarter of the twelfth century. However, the silting of the Mondego led to abandonment of this building and the change of the nuns to a farm located in St. Martin, donated by D. Bishop-Count João Soares in 1561. The first stone of the new monastery was launched on June 23, 1600, with the building completed in 1610, the year the nuns started to live their new facilities, as indicated in the patent application in one of the portals of the church.
These are contemporary construction of the convent early seventeenth century, denouncing Mannerist characteristics, according to Pedro Dias, models are inspired by local Renaissance, the decorative language patent and obvious disproportion.
In the nineteenth century and as a result of extinction of the convents, the nuns of the Royal College of Chagas Ursulino settled in Santa Ana, the two coexisting communities. In December 1851 the nuns are integrated in the College of St. Joseph of Marian, and the abandoned building turns out to be adapted to military barracks of the 12th Infantry Regiment during the first decade of the twentieth century. At this time the tomb of Bishop Count D. Duarte de Castelo Branco, who was patron of the convent, moved to the cloister of the old cathedral. At the same time should have been taken also of the church gates and entrance to the Museum Machado de Castro and thereafter applied to the church of St. John Almedina, where they remain.
The main portal of the convent was placed at the entrance to the existing museum. Its niche, now empty, showed an image of the Holy Mother of the fourteenth century (which currently includes the museum's collection), which stood Santa Ana, whom the convent was dedicated. The second portal, which is now the side entrance of the museum, retains the original sculptures. "


From: (visit link)
Designação (Name): Portais da Extinta Igreja de Santa Ana

Categoria de protecção (Classification): MN - Monumento Nacional

Categoria/Tipologia (Type of heritage): Arquitectura Religiosa / Portal

Concelho (City): Coimbra

Página do Património na base de dados do IGESPAR (Page of the Heritage at the IGESPAR database): [Web Link]

Wikipedia: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[PT]
- Por favor forneça pelo menos uma foto tirada durante a sua visita.
- Por favor escreva um pouco sobre a sua visita. Diga o que achou. Gostou?

[ENG]
- Please provide at least a photo you have taken during your visit.
- And please write a little about your visit. Tell us what you thought, did you liked it?

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Património Português (Portuguese Heritage)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
bmps2003 visited Portais da Extinta Igreja de Santa Ana - Coimbra, Portugal 12/15/2013 bmps2003 visited it