Chico, TX - Population 947
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 17.579 W 097° 47.293
14S E 612827 N 3684422
Quick Description: Chico, TX, population 947 as of this posting. The sign is located along FM 1810, on the north side of the road, approaching Chico from the east.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 1/13/2012 5:24:25 PM
Waymark Code: WMDGPC
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wildwoodke
Views: 0

Long Description:
According to the city of Chico's website, (visit link) their history is thus:

Originally part of a survey of 1,920 acres of land belonging to the heirs of William Heresee, the land became a settlement for several families including Cal Mount, Benjamin Booth, Sim Odom, T. Merriman, H.F. Hawkins, Sr., Dave Manning, Allen Gore, Tom Traister and Adam Johnson, among others. R.C. Mount bought this survey of 1,920 acres for 13 cents per acre before the Civil War.

The area we now call Chico grew primarily as a trade center for surrounding farms. It originated with a deed for 44 acres filed by RC Mount on October 27, 1876. Mount reserved two acres for a school and a church.

Around 1875 Colonel Brown arrived and became a merchant and first postmaster of the village serving the needs of the pioneer families. He paid $1.26 per acre for the townsite and plotted the area designing a public square, a business section and residential lots. Brown wanted to call this new town after his hometown of Chico in California. Other name suggestions were Brownstone and Mountville. Four of the seven men voting in the election officially named the town Chico. There are still descendants of the original pioneers living in and around the city of Chico and there are streets bearing their names throughout the city.

The first school began three years before the town was organized and was replaced in just two years by a larger log building which served also as a church and courthouse. The first frame building, built in 1888 was the Brown Hotel which still stands. The Rock Island Railroad was built through town in 1893 and the depot was built in 1902.

More information on the history of Chico may be obtained at the Chico Public Library, Inc. and the Wise County Historical Society. Click on the Library button to see one of the original log cabins. The Wise County Historical Society has a list of all the historical markers in and around Wise County.
Address: East of the city along FM 1810, north side of the road

Visit Instructions:
At the discretion of the Waymarker.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Population Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
QuarrellaDeVil visited Chico, TX - Population 947 1/12/2012 QuarrellaDeVil visited it