Rose Blacksmith Shop - Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 43° 46.521 W 079° 31.112
17T E 619223 N 4847988
Quick Description: Rose Blacksmith Shop (circa 1855) was relocated from Nobleton, Ontario, to the Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto, Ontario. An historical interpreter dressed in period clothes performs blacksmith activities.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 11/12/2011 12:26:26 PM
Waymark Code: WMD354
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Big B Bob
Views: 3

Long Description:
"Rose Blacksmith Shop c. 1855
Original Location: Nobleton, Ontario

The Blacksmith was considered one of the most essential tradesmen in an early community. Whose most important function was to make tools for himself and other craftsmen. This simple building consisting of a timber frame structure with board and batten finish also contains a brick forge and anvil. Tools used to make and repair carriages, wheels and various other agriculture tools. The building was moved to the Village in 1958 and opened in 1960."

-- Source

"Black Creek Pioneer Village is a historic site in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, just west of York University and southeast of the Jane and Steeles intersection. It overlooks Black Creek, a tributary of the Humber River. The village is a recreation of life in 19th-century Ontario and gives an idea how rural Ontario might have looked in the early-to-mid-19th century. The village is a regular destination for field trips by schoolchildren from the Greater Toronto Area. It is operated by the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority.

B. Napier Simpson, Jr. 1925-1978, a restoration architect in Ontario devoted his professional life to raising public awareness of the importance of heritage conservation including the Black Creek Pioneer Village project.

Collection

The pioneer village consists of over forty historic 19th century buildings, decorated in the style of the 1860s with period furnishings. It is operated by historical interpreters and craftspeople housed in the restored buildings. The site also features historical re-enactments and visiting artisans. Buildings include Dalziel barn, period houses, the original Stong Family farm buildings, a water-powered grist mill, a general store, a blacksmith's shop along with over 10 other trades buildings, a hotel, a church, and a one-room schoolhouse. A core of buildings built by the Stong family are on their original sites, while others have been moved in from across Southern Ontario.

The majority of the buildings were moved from their original sites (notably the large Halfway House and Mennonite Meeting House), and some re-built on their current locations."

-- Source

Operating Status: Re-creation / Educational

Web Address: [Web Link]

Address:
1000 Murray Ross Parkway
Toronto, ON Canada
M3J 2P3


Visit Instructions:
To post a visit the Blacksmith Shop's category, you must have a photograph and description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blacksmith Shops
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.