Église St-Elzéar,Laval,QC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member scalaire
N 45° 36.220 W 073° 43.643
18T E 599242 N 5050801
Quick Description: L'Église St-Elzéar, Laval
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 11/3/2011 1:17:44 PM
Waymark Code: WMD0TM
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 31

Long Description:
L'église

Les origines de la paroisse remontant en 1850 lorsque Mgr. Jacques Vinet devient propriétaire d'une très grande ferme dans le secteur, Le 6 avril 1879, Mgr. Vinet donne sa maison et les terres qui l'entourent à la Corporation du Collège Sainte-Marie, de Montréal. Parmi les conditions de la donation, il y a l'obligation de transformer la maison de pierre en chapelle ou d'ériger une église catholique. Suite à de nombreux problèmes, la Corporation ne peut respecter les conditions de donation et revend la propriété à Isaïe Désormeaux, entrepreneur de Saint-Martin. Le domaine sera revendu et subdivisé plusieurs fois par la suite.

En 1899, une demande est acheminée à Mgr. Paul Bruchési, archevêque de Montréal, en vue de l'érection d'une chapelle dans le secteur. Elle sera construite dans le rang Saint-Elzéar, sur un terrain de Georges Lavoie. Le curé de Saint-Martin bénit la chapelle le 24 décembre 1899. La paroisse sera érigée canoniquement au mois d'août 1901 et le premier curé est l'abbé Joseph Cloutier. Elle est issue d'un démembrement des paroisses de Sainte-Rose-De-Lima, de Saint-Martin, et de Saint-Vincent-de-Paul. La municipalité de Saint-Elzéar est créée le 10 septembre 1904.

Entrepris en 1917, les travaux de construction de l'église actuelle durent environ deux ans sous la supervision des architectes Gauthier & Daoust. En 1959, le nom de ville est modifié pour Ville Vimont et le 6 août 1965, elle est fusionnée avec 13 autres municipalités pour former Ville de Laval.

L'orgue

Depuis 1896, les Soeurs du Bon-Pasteur dirigent un orphelinat et une école dans le secteur Laval-des-Rapides. Elles emménagent, le 10 décembre 1915, dans un nouvel édifice que l'on connaîtra sous le nom de Maison Sainte-Domitille qu'elles dirigeront jusqu'en 2004.


Construit à l’origine pour la maison Sainte-Domitille, l’orgue à été vendu à la paroisse Saint-Elzéar lors de la fermeture de cette maison. Le déménagement et l’installation ont été effectués par la maison Casavant qui a aussi procédé à une réharmonisation complète.

ref (visit link)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The church
The roots of this parish date back to 1850 when Monsignor Jacques Vinet became the owner of a very large farm in the area. On April 6, 1879, Mgr. Vinet bequeathes his house and the surrounding land to the Montreal's St. Mary's College Corporation. Among the conditions of the bequest, the stone house must be converted into a chapel or a new Catholic church must be built. Due to serious problems, the Corporation cannot meet the conditions of the bequest and sells the estate to Isaïe Désormeaux, a businessman from St. Martin. The estate will be subsequently resold and subdivided many times.
In 1899, a request is sent to Archbishop Paul Bruchési, of Montreal, to obtain permission to build a chapel in the area. It will be built in St. Elzear road, on a piece of land owned by Georges Lavoie. The parish priest from St. Martin blesses the chapel on December 24, 1899. The parish will be canonically established in August 1901 and the first appointed parish priest is Rev. Joseph Cloutier. The parish is stemmed from neighbouring parishes of St. Rose-de-Lima, St. Martin, and St. Vincent-de-Paul. The St. Elzear municipality will be established on September 10, 1904.
The construction of the actual church started in 1917 and lasted two years under the supervision of architects Gauthier & Daoust. In 1959, the name of the municipality was changed to Ville Vimont and on August 6, 1965, it was one of the 13 municipalities merged to create Ville de Laval.
The organ
Since 1896, the Sisters of the Good Shephard run an orphanage and a school in the Laval-des-Rapides district. They moved, on December 10, 1915, into a new building that will be known as St. Domitille House. They run that house until its closing in 2004.
Originally built for St. Domitille House, the organ is sold to St. Elzear parish when the house closed. The dismantling and the re-isntallation works were commissionned to Casavant who carried out a complete revoicing of the instrument


ref: (visit link)
Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 8/1/1901

Date of building construction: 1/1/1920

Diocese: Montréal

Address/Location:
16, boul Saint-Elzéar E,
Laval, Qc Canada
H7M 1C2


Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Relvant Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point