Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member scalaire
N 45° 46.691 W 074° 00.147
18T E 577550 N 5069886
Quick Description: La Cathédrale de St-Jérôme
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 8/14/2011 4:38:39 AM
Waymark Code: WMC9W5
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member scrambler390
Views: 29

Long Description:
La cathédrale actuelle n'est pas l'église originale; elle remplace une petite église qui était située en face d'elle, dans le parc. Commencée en 1897, l'église - qui deviendra la cathédrale en 1951 au moment où Saint-Jérôme deviendra siège épiscopal - a été inaugurée le 21 janvier 1900, date choisie pour marquer aussi le début du siècle nouveau. Imposante, de style néo-classique, elle est haute, à l'intérieur, de 24,6 m, longue de 76,9 m et large de 30,7 m. De 1923 à 1925, l'église a subi des travaux de rénovation. D'autres travaux importants sont en cours depuis 1999. La cathédrale est située dans la ville de Saint-Jérôme.
À l'entrée, espace relativement grand, le narthex a été aménagé afin de faciliter l'accueil des participants aux diverses célébrations qui s'y déroulent. En levant la tête, on aperçoit les tuyaux des grandes orgues Casavant qui ont été installées en 1912. Ouvrant une brèche lumineuse entre les tuyaux et comme sculptée dans la pierre, une rosace de toute beauté anime le jubé et projette ses rayons multicolores vers l'intérieur. La rosace s'harmonise avec les grands vitraux qui décorent les murs latéraux. Au nombre de 14, ces vitraux ont été exécutés en France.
La décoration architecturale est complétée par 14 autres grandes verrières et par un ensemble de 21 petites verrières groupées en tryptiques. Les verrières coulées dans le plomb, superbes oeuvres d'art de M. Delphis Adolphe Beaulieu, de Montréal, illustrent des scènes de la vie évangélique.
De chaque côté de la nef, sur les murs latéraux, progresse un chemin de croix dont les tableaux polychromes sont faits de plâtre et de bois. Le chemin de croix date de 1908.
Le Concile Vatican II impose plusieurs aménagements afin de rendre l'église conforme aux exigences du renouveau liturgique. Ainsi, un majestueux autel, monolithe taillé dans un bloc de granit noir du Lac Saint-Jean, a été installé au centre du sanctuaire. L'ambon est de même matériau. Tout près de celui-ci, on a placé le siège présidentiel du prêtre qui préside l'eucharistie tandis que, bien en évidence en arrière de l'autel, se dresse la cathèdre, siège de l'évêque. Le baptistère a été déplacé et loge maintenant dans le transept sud de l'église. La décoration intérieure a été refaite en même temps.
Vers le milieu de l'église, à gauche, se trouve le petit sanctuaire de la Vierge. Ce sanctuaire est un acte de reconnaissance à la Vierge qui aurait, selon le curé du temps, en 1981, sauvé l'église d'un incendie destructeur. L'autel de ce sanctuaire provient de la première église qui était située dans le parc en face de la cathédrale.
À gauche du sanctuaire de la Vierge, un tombeau de marbre a reçu, en 1987, les restes de Mgr Émilien Frenette, évêque fondateur du diocèse.
Maintenant, dans la sacristie de la cathédrale, un petit musée raconte la merveilleuse histoire du diocèse de Saint-Jérôme et d'un des farouches bâtisseurs de la région des Laurentides: le curé Antoine Labelle. Des visites guidées sont organisées durant la saison estivale et sur demande.
Ref : (visit link)


The present cathedral is not the original church, replacing a small church which was situated opposite her in the park. Begun in 1897, the church - which became the cathedral in 1951 when St. Jerome will become Episcopal - was inaugurated January 21, 1900, a date chosen to mark also the beginning of the new century. Imposing, neoclassical style, it is high, inside, of 24.6 m, 76.9 m long and 30.7 m wide From 1923 to 1925, the church has undergone renovation. Other important works have been ongoing since 1999. The cathedral is located in the city of St. Jerome.
At the entrance, relatively large space, the narthex was built to facilitate the reception of participants in the various celebrations that take place. Looking up, you can see the large pipe Casavant organs that were installed in 1912. Breaching light between the pipes and as if carved in stone, a rose of great beauty and leads the choir screen projects its rays colored inwards. The rose is consistent with the large glass windows that decorate the side walls. 14 in number, these windows were executed in France.
Architectural decoration is complemented by 14 other large windows and a set of 21 small windows grouped into triptychs. The stained glass cast in lead, stunning artwork of Mr. Adolphe Delphis Beaulieu, Montreal, illustrate scenes from the Gospel life.
On each side of the nave, on the side walls, a growing way of the cross with polychrome paintings are made of plaster and wood. The Way of the Cross in 1908.
The Second Vatican Council imposes several amenities to make the church conform to the requirements of the liturgical renewal. Thus, a majestic altar, monolith carved from a block of black granite of the Lac Saint-Jean, was installed in the center of the sanctuary. The pulpit is of the same material. Close to it were placed the presidential seat of the priest who presides over the Eucharist while conspicuously behind the altar, stands the cathedra, seat of the bishop. The baptistery was moved and now houses in the south transept of the church. The interior was redone at the same time.
By the middle of the church, left, is the small shrine of the Virgin. This sanctuary is an act of gratitude to the Virgin which, according to the priest of the time, in 1981, saved the church from a devastating fire. The altar of this sanctuary is from the first church was located in the park opposite the cathedral.
To the left of the sanctuary of the Virgin, a marble tomb received in 1987 the remains of Bishop Emilien Frenette, founding bishop of the diocese.
Now, in the sacristy of the cathedral, a small museum tells the wonderful story of the diocese of St. Jerome and one of the builders of the wild Laurentians: Father Antoine Labelle. Guided tours are organized during the summer and on request.
Ref: (visit link)
Type of Church: Cathedral

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1897

Dominant Architectural Style: Néo-Classique

Archdiocese: Montréal

Diocese: St-Jérôme

Address/Location:
355 Place du Curé Labelle
St-Jérôme, Qc Canada
J7Z 5V3


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
colibris7 visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 2/1/2015 colibris7 visited it
Papichon visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 12/14/2014 Papichon visited it
jeanpier visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 11/19/2014 jeanpier visited it
Laval K-9 visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 5/12/2014 Laval K-9 visited it
cartapus visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 12/3/2013 cartapus visited it
Amalthee visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 10/4/2013 Amalthee visited it
ORDIMIC visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 9/6/2013 ORDIMIC visited it
gemeloj visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 6/29/2013 gemeloj visited it
Ourspolaire&Gemeloj visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 6/29/2013 Ourspolaire&Gemeloj visited it
lison55 visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 6/16/2012 lison55 visited it
Flag 43 visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 3/30/2012 Flag 43 visited it
oiseau_ca visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 3/24/2012 oiseau_ca visited it
katteykattey visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 11/11/2011 katteykattey visited it
lu2lu visited Cathédrale de St-Jérôme, St-Jérôme,Qc 8/25/2011 lu2lu visited it

View all visits/logs