Home of Inner London's Education Service - County Hall, London, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 51° 30.116 W 000° 07.090
30U E 700008 N 5709582
Quick Description: County Hall the home of ILEA from 1922.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/8/2011 3:10:42 AM
Waymark Code: WMC8DV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Touchstone
Views: 5

Long Description:
The plaque is mounted on the wall at the main entrance to County Hall in Belvedere Road. The plaque reads:
"The / home of / Inner London's / Education Service / from 1922 / ILEA succeeding / the London School Board / 1870-1904 / and the LCC / 1904-1965"

==============================================================
==============================================================

The Inner London Education Authority was established when the Greater London Council (GLC) replaced the London County Council as the principal local authority for London in 1965. The LCC had taken over responsibility for education in Inner London from the London School Board in 1904. In what was to become Outer London, education was primarily administered by the relevant county councils and county boroughs, with some functions delegated to second-tier councils in the area.

The Herbert Commission report in 1960 recommended the establishment of the Greater London Council. It advocated a London-wide division of educational powers between the GLC and the London boroughs. The GLC would be responsible for strategic control of schools, and the boroughs for routine management. This part of the report was rejected by the government. Councils in the future Outer London area wanted greater control over education, preventing the creation of a London-wide LEA, and there was strong opposition from teachers and other bodies to the idea of dividing up the LCC LEA. The London Government Act 1963 therefore created the ILEA to inherit the educational responsibilities of the LCC, and gave Outer London boroughs LEA status. The ILEA was originally conceived as a provisional body whose status would be reviewed before 1970, but the Labour government made its status permanent in 1965.

The ILEA did not cover the small area of North Woolwich, which was part of the County of London but was transferred to the new London Borough of Newham in outer London.

The ILEA had a somewhat anomalous legal status. Technically the GLC itself was the education authority for inner London, but it was both administratively difficult and politically unjust to allow outer London members of the GLC to have an input. Therefore the GLC delegated responsibility to the ILEA as a 'special committee', consisting of the members of the GLC from the Inner London area, plus one member delegated from each of the inner London boroughs and the City of London. Members of the GLC/ILEA tended to concentrate on one duty only, although they attended the meetings of both.

Text source: (visit link)
Blue Plaque managing agency: Greater London Council

Individual Recognized: Home of Inner London's Education Service

Physical Address:
County Hall
Belvedere Road
London, United Kingdom


Web Address: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blue Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
AngelPick visited Home of Inner London's Education Service - County Hall, London, UK 6/30/2012 AngelPick visited it
MeerRescue visited Home of Inner London's Education Service - County Hall, London, UK 3/15/2012 MeerRescue visited it

View all visits/logs