Weybourne Windmill, Weybourne, Norfolk.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member greysman
N 52° 56.622 E 001° 08.838
31U E 375508 N 5867614
Quick Description: After falling in disuse in the 1920s this mill has been converted, along with the old miller's house attached, to a 5-bedroom house.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/17/2011 3:23:13 PM
Waymark Code: WMC2EF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member montythemule
Views: 1

Long Description:
Quoting from the Norfolk Mills web site: Weybourne Mill

More information and history of this interesting landmark can also be found there.

"Weybourne towermill was built in 1850. The five storey red brick tower had a white boat shaped cap with a petticoat, an eight bladed fan, a gallery and a second floor stage. The south facing outside door had a porch and there was a further inside door leading to the granary that abutted the tower. On the second floor were three pairs of overdriven stones. The mill had four double shuttered sails, each with nine bays of three, although at one time the two outer bays of each sail had no shutters."

The mill has had a chequered history even being put to use in generating electricity.

This is part of the advert which TURNBULL & CO., Market Place, Holt placed in the Eastern Daily Press on 23rd May 1981.

"One of the outstanding landmarks and most interesting Properties on the N. Norfolk coast. WEYBOURNE WINDMILL, between Blakeney and Sheringham, has in recent years been extensively renovated and restored (although not in working order) and is now a modernised spacious and comfortable 5-bedroom House with unrivalled views. Dining room, fine first-floor drawing room, and adjoining sitting room, with picture windows giving superb coastal views, study/playroom, sun room, kitchen with Aga, full central heating Garage, large attractive garden."

It was sold in April 1982 for £125,000.

This Grade II listed windmill and attached house is now a dwelling. It was restored and extended by J.S.Brocklesby in the 1920s. Of brick, the tower is of five storeys and is complete with cap, sails and fantail. The windows have glazing bars and a stone sill to each floor on the west and east and on the first floor to the south. A doorway at second floor level to the south is now a large window. Attached to the north is the old granary/miller's house, a two-storeyed three bay building, the third bay being a late C20th addition. The first floor is timber framed and jettied to the west. The east facade is of flint with a hipped pantile roof, a doorway to the left, with a six-panelled raised and fielded door, panelled reveals, and heavily carved brackets to a flat canopy. A casement window to the right of it and two tall casement windows with transoms to the first floor. The extension has matching windows to ground and first floor. The west facade has tall casement windows, two per bay in the old section, the new section having a single matching tall window to first floor.

Date of Manufacture: 1/1/1850

Purpose: Milling

Open to the public: no

Is This Windmill Functional?: No

Windmill Farm: no

Cost: Not Listed

Museum on Site: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
When logging a VISIT to a windmill that has been Waymarked, please take a a photograph of the Windmill and provide a summary of your visit. In this way we can track changes to the mills over the years
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Windmills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.