Convento de Santa Maria do Bouro - Amares, Portugal
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 41° 39.571 W 008° 16.235
29T E 560729 N 4612230
Quick Description: [PT]A Convento de Santa Maria do Bouro situa-se na vila de Bouro Santa Maria em Amares, distrito de Braga. [ENG]The Convent of Santa Maria do Bouro is situated in the village of Santa Maria Bouro in Braga.
Location: Braga, Portugal
Date Posted: 5/17/2011 6:43:48 PM
Waymark Code: WMBG4E
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member coisos
Views: 2

Long Description:
[PT]
Em 1148 D. Afonso Henriques doou o couto a monges beneditinos. Em 1195 o Mosteiro deixa a regra beneditina passando a reger-se pela de Cister invocando Nossa Senhora da Assunção. Os vários edifícios monacais desenvolviam-se lateralmente à igreja de três naves, tendo como referência o claustro central.

Durante a crise de 1383-1385 o abade do mosteiro juntou 600 homens em defesa da fronteira da Portela do Homem, conseguindo suster o avanço das tropas galegas. Como reconhecimento pelo seu papel D. Nuno Álvares Pereira agraciou o abade com o título de Capitão-Mor e Guarda das Fronteiras dando-lhe a prerrogativa de poder levantar exército, sempre que considerasse necessário.

Apesar de ter prosperado rapidamente graças ao apoio real, à sua localização, e à actividade dos frades, o mosteiro veio a entrar num processo de degradação a partir do século XV, a que não terá sido alheia a instauração do regime dos abades comendatários chegando ao século XVI em estado de quase ruína.

Nos finais do século XVI, com a criação da Congregação Autónoma Portuguesa, iniciaram-se as obras de recuperação incluindo novas decorações em talha e azulejos, que prosseguiram até meados do século XVII. Invocando as suas origens, a fachada da igreja, sujeita a profundas remodelações, exibe as imagens de São Bernardo e São Bento com a virgem ao centro. Por sua vez na fachada do convento que se desenvolve perpendicularmente à igreja, encontram-se entre as varandas superiores cinco estátuas de personagens importantes na história do país e do próprio convento, com pequenas inscrições anexas: o conde D. Henrique(supõe-se que o seja apesar de ser designado ALFONSUS em vez de HENRICUS), D. Afonso Henriques(sob o reinado do qual foi fundado o mosteiro, diz a inscrição), D. Sebastião(que suprimiu a comenda do convento), o cardeal D. Henrique(que fundou a Congregação Autónoma), e D. João IV(o restaurador da monarquia portuguesa).

É reconquistada a pujança de outrora com 34 monges habitando o mosteiro e com obras de recuperação e expansão do edifício. No início do século XVIII, foi construído um novo refeitório e cozinha, bem como uma nova ala a oeste do claustro, tendo sido para aí transferido o novo acesso ao mosteiro.

Em 1834 com a extinção das ordens religiosas masculinas o mosteiro foi abandonado vindo depois a ser vendido em hasta pública a particulares.

O convento encontra-se classificado como Imóvel de Interesse Público desde 1958 (Decreto 42007, DG 265 de 6 de Dezembro de 1958). Em 2005 foi estabelecida uma Zona Especial de Protecção em torno do monumento (Portaria n.º 1277, D.R., 2ª Série, n.243 de 21 de Dezembro de 2005). (Apesar da designação oficial da classificação se referir ao imóvel como "Convento", as Ordens que o ocuparam - a de São Bento e a de Cister - tinham votos monacais, com clausura e prática da vida contemplativa pelo que a designação mais adequada seria "Mosteiro").


[En]
In 1148 D. Afonso Henriques donated the couto the Benedictine monks. In 1195 the Monastery of the Benedictine rule leaves going to be governed by the Cistercian invoking Our Lady of the Assumption. The various monastic buildings developed laterally to church with three naves, with reference to the central cloister.

During the crisis of 1383-1385 the abbot of the monastery gathered 600 men to defend the frontier of Portela Do Homem, managing to halt the advance of troops of Galiza. In recognition of their role D. Nuno Alvares Pereira graced the abbot with the title of Captain-Major and Border Guard was given the privilege to be able to raise the army, whenever deemed necessary.

Although he quickly thrived thanks to support real, its location, and activities of monks, the monastery came to enter a process of degradation from the fifteenth century, which has not been unrelated to the introduction of the scheme coming to an abbot sixteenth century in a state of near ruin.

In the late sixteenth century with the creation of the Congregation Portuguese Autonomous began restoration work including new tiles and carved decorations, which continued until the mid seventeenth century. Relying on its origins, the facade of the church, subject to extensive remodeling, displays the images of St. Bernard and St. Benedict with a virgin to the center. Turn on the facade of the convent that develops perpendicularly to the church, are among the top five balconies statues of important characters in the history of the country and the convent, with small inscriptions attached: Earl D. Henry (presumably that is despite being appointed rather than ALFONSUS HENRICUS), D. Afonso Henriques (under the reign of which the monastery was founded, says the inscription), D. Sebastian (which removed the insignia of the convent), Cardinal D. Henry (who founded the Congregation Autonomous), and D. John IV (the restorer of the Portuguese monarchy).

It regained the vigor of old with 34 monks inhabiting the monastery and works of restoration and expansion of the building. In the early eighteenth century, we built a new cafeteria and kitchen, and a new wing on the west cloister, was then transferred to the new access to the monastery.

In 1834 with the extinction of the male religious orders coming to the monastery was abandoned after being sold at auction to private.

The convent is classified as a Public Interest since 1958 (Decree 42 007, DG 265, December 6, 1958). In 2005 he established a Special Protection Zone around the monument (Ordinance No. 1277, DR, 2nd Series, n.243 of 21 December 2005). (Although the official designation of the classification refers to the property as "Convent," those orders which occupied - that of St. Benedict and the Cistercian - had monastic vows with the cloistered life of contemplation and practice so the more appropriate designation would be "Monastery ").


From: (visit link)
Designação (Name): Convento de Santa Maria do Bouro

Categoria de protecção (Classification): IIP - Imóvel de Interesse Público

Categoria/Tipologia (Type of heritage): Arquitectura Religiosa / Mosteiro - Itinerário de Cister

Concelho (City): Amares

Página do Património na base de dados do IGESPAR (Page of the Heritage at the IGESPAR database): [Web Link]

Wikipedia: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[PT]
- Por favor forneça pelo menos uma foto tirada durante a sua visita.
- Por favor escreva um pouco sobre a sua visita. Diga o que achou. Gostou?

[ENG]
- Please provide at least a photo you have taken during your visit.
- And please write a little about your visit. Tell us what you thought, did you liked it?

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Património Português (Portuguese Heritage)
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.