Profiting from Cross-Country Travel Historical Marker – Correctionville, IA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member wildernessmama
N 42° 28.635 W 095° 47.160
15T E 270994 N 4706528
Quick Description: This historical sign tells about the significance of Route 20 and the business generated by traffic taking this route through Iowa.
Location: Iowa, United States
Date Posted: 4/20/2011 7:16:03 AM
Waymark Code: WMB8V7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member martycook
Views: 2

Long Description:
This historical sign tells about the significance of Route 20 and the business generated by traffic taking this route through Iowa. It stands outside one of the former businesses, the historic “Rock Gas Station,” and highlights the two vintage service stations that have been preserved in this town. The text is as follows:

“U.S. Route 20 stretches from Boston, Massachusetts, through Chicago, to Newport, Oregon. After the route was designated as a federal highway in 1926, and Henry Ford’s affordable Model T and Model A cars became a popular way to travel, traffic grew quickly on U.S. 20. Correctionville, located on U.S. 20 was a convenient place to stop for a meal and gasoline.

Taking advantage of this new business opportunity, Correctionville entrepreneurs opened several gas stations between 1926 and 1934. Two distinctive stations, Rock Station and Cities Service Filling Station, still stand in Correctionville.

Now known as Highway 20, the road has been rebuilt and is still a popular route for cars and trucks. Entrepreneurs are still profiting from travelers – selling gasoline along Highway 20, especially at the intersection of Highway 31.”

Below the text are photographs from vintage postcards showing the three original local gas stations. They include the captions: “Ford Model A Cars fill up at the DX station in 1930. The gas station was located at the southwest corner of Highway 31 and 4th Street, across from the hotel and Manhattan Café.” “The Cities Service Filling Station was built in 1930 for $10,000. When it was being constructed, the Correctionville newspaper described it as being of English construction. The station closed in the late 1970’s. See the Art Deco-style station as it looks today at the intersection of Highway 31 and Old Highway 20 (now Country Road D22).”

Another piece of history is beneath a photo of the Rock Station on the left side of the marker: “Heath Mobil Service, Oil—Lubrication—Service. Phone 157, Correctionville, Iowa. You are standing by Rock Station, a Mobil Oil Gas Station. It was built in 1934 by Emmett Nafe from local river and glacial stone. The two bay garage was added later.

The full-service station operated for 40 years, closing in the late 1970’s. In 1999 the unused station was purchased by the City of Correctionville. The station received a new roof, floor, plumbing, and electrical system in 2000, with funding provided by Missouri River Historical Development (MRHD).”

The Missouri River Historical Development was responsible for placing this sign.
Visit Instructions:
Please post a picture with your log. Thanks!

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Iowa Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.