Dum U trí pštrosu / House At the Three Ostriches, Praha - Malá Strana, Czech republic
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Noe1
N 50° 05.243 E 014° 24.433
33U E 457594 N 5548514
Quick Description: Renaissance house was built in 1597 by "fedršmukr" John Fux. The decoration of the facade is from 1606. In 1714 an Armenian merchant Deodatus Damajan established here first coffee house in Mala Strana.
Location: Hlavní město Praha, Czechia
Date Posted: 1/20/2011 7:47:18 AM
Waymark Code: WMAJ8M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Shebi Team
Views: 115

Long Description:
ENG: Renaissance House "At The Three Ostriches" was built in 1597. Its first owner, John Fux, let in 1606 decorate the facade by "advertisments" of his business. John Fux was was "fedršmukr" adorning women's hats and horse trappings bird feathers. In 1648 the house was damaged during the siege of Prague by Swedish troops. During the reparation works baroque floor was erected in 1657. From that time painted beamed ceiling on the ground floor is preserved. The Armenian merchant Deodatus Damajan established here the first cafe in the Lesser Town in 1714. In 70 20th century building was rebuilt to a luxury hotel and restaurant. In interiors have been preserved some fragments of Renaissance and Baroque ornamentation.

CZ: Renesancní dum U Trí pštrosu byl vystaven roku 1597 na míste, kde pravdepodobne již dríve stávala stredoveká hospoda. Jeho první majitel, Jan Fux, si nechal roku 1606 od malíre Daniela Alexia z Kvetné vymalovat prucelí reklamou své živnosti. Jan Fux byl pernar, neboli "fedršmukr", zdobil dámské klobouky ci konské postroje ptacími pery, vyrábel z nich vejíre a jiné ozdoby. V roce 1648 byl dum poškozen pri obléhání Prahy Švédskými vojáky. Pri oprave roku 1657 bylo pristaveno Cyrilem Geerem barokní patro. Z té doby se v prízemí dochoval malovaný trámový strop. Roku 1714 zde zrídil arménský obchodník Deodatus Damajan kavárnu, snad první na Malé Strane. Posledním soukromým majitelem pred znárodnením byl Josef Dundr, který dum koupil v r. 1922. V 70. letech 20. století byl objekt po oprave prebudován na luxusní hotel a restaurant. V interiérech se dochovaly fragmenty renesancní a barokní výzdoby.
Date of origin:: 1597

Architect(s): unknown

Style: Mannerism (ca. 1520–1600)

Type of building (structure): Town-house

Address:
Dražického nám. 12 Praha 1 - Malá Strana


Web site of the object (if exists): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the building. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Renaissance Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
ToRo61 visited Dum U trí pštrosu / House At the Three Ostriches, Praha - Malá Strana, Czech republic 5/9/2014 ToRo61 visited it
bdek visited Dum U trí pštrosu / House At the Three Ostriches, Praha - Malá Strana, Czech republic 7/3/2012 bdek visited it
Blogi visited Dum U trí pštrosu / House At the Three Ostriches, Praha - Malá Strana, Czech republic 3/2/2012 Blogi visited it
Tygress visited Dum U trí pštrosu / House At the Three Ostriches, Praha - Malá Strana, Czech republic 10/26/2011 Tygress visited it
Farka visited Dum U trí pštrosu / House At the Three Ostriches, Praha - Malá Strana, Czech republic 6/25/2011 Farka visited it
Maliniak visited Dum U trí pštrosu / House At the Three Ostriches, Praha - Malá Strana, Czech republic 4/28/2011 Maliniak visited it
M+B visited Dum U trí pštrosu / House At the Three Ostriches, Praha - Malá Strana, Czech republic 4/23/2011 M+B visited it

View all visits/logs