Iron County Courthouse - U.S. Civil War - Ironton, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 37° 35.868 W 090° 37.671
15S E 709416 N 4163837
Quick Description: County courthouse used as a hospital during the Civil War located in Ironton, Missouri
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 11/9/2010 6:12:38 PM
Waymark Code: WMA3D7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 4

Long Description:
The courthouse was designed by Henry H. Wright, architect, and cornerstone was laid July 4, 1858. The building was built by George F. Evans and William F. Mitchell and completed and ready for use in October 1860. The cost of the building was $14,000. The red brick building trimmed with white stone originally measured 50 by 65 feet. An addition was added to the west portion of the building in 1964.

During the Civil War the building was used as a barracks building and hospital by both sides at different times during the war particularly during and after the Battle of Pilots Knob. - information from National Register Nomination Form

Address:
Courthouse Sq. and 220 S. Shepherd St Ironton, Missouri


Name of War: U.S. Civil War

Type of Documentation: Web Page/Historical Documentation

Visit Instructions:
Take an original pic and write something interesting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Field Hospitals
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
iconions visited Iron County Courthouse - U.S. Civil War - Ironton, Missouri 10/2/2011 iconions visited it
YoSam. visited Iron County Courthouse - U.S. Civil War - Ironton, Missouri 8/6/2006 YoSam. visited it

View all visits/logs