John O'Loughlin Windmill, Lakin, Kansas
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Queens Blessing
N 37° 56.747 W 101° 15.525
14S E 301529 N 4202205
Quick Description: This windmill is said to have belonged to John O'Loughlin, pioneer.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 6/9/2010 8:48:45 PM
Waymark Code: WM90PM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member eikenboom
Views: 5

Long Description:
Copied from this website: (visit link)

"Lakin, in southwest Kansas, is a town full of proud Kansans. Not only are they proud of Kansas, they are especially proud of Kearny County and its history and the Santa Fe Trail, as well.

In the Fall of 1872, the Atchinson, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company laid track in the present day Lakin area on their way to completing the line to the Kansas-Colorado border. The railroad had to be completed to that point by January 1, 1873 or the Company would forfeit the land.

The railroad was completed to the Colorado line and the first train ran over the tracks from Atchinson. Kansas to the state line Christmas Day, 1872. At the future site of Lakin, Kansas, the railroad left a water tower, windmill and several abandoned dugouts.

In the early spring of 1873, John Q'Loughlin rode through the area looking for a likely place to establish a trading post. In 1869, he had built and maintained a trading post and a toll road on the military road between Fort Hays and Fort Dodge. When the railroad laid track past Dodge he felt it was time to move farther west. The tower, windmill and dugouts left the fall before suited him just fine. John made one of the dugouts into his trading post, naming it "The Peoples' Store". Here he did business with the freighters, Indians, pioneers traveling in wagons, and passengers using the A.T.& S.F. railway. In the fall of '73 he was made post master and a post office set up in the trading post. In 1882, he married Mary Farrell and they spent the rest of their lives in Lakin. Four of their grandchildren still reside here in Lakin.

In 1875, A.B. Boylan, with his family, came to Lakin as the first railroad agent. Their home, a two-story frame house, the largest in town for several years, was used for social gatherings and meetings and for church services. In 1916, the house was purchased by the O'Loughlin family for son William and his family.

When the railroad started servicing the area, a boxcar was used as a depot, but in 1876 a two-story building was erected in its place. In 1930 the top floor was removed. The structure has remained in this condition since it was moved to its present location on the museum grounds.

In 1876, Fred Harvey established his second Harvey House Lunchroom in Lakin. He set up his cattle ranch, XY Ranch, six miles east of Lakin where he raised cattle to supply his growing restaurant business. Mr. & Mrs. Fred Harvey were frequent visitors to Lakin. When the early settlers held the first Fourth of July celebration on Chouteau's Island in 1880, the Harveys furnished much of the food for the picnic. In 1880 the Santa Fe Railroad tore the building down and used the material to reestablish a Harvey House at Sargent (now Coolidge. Kansas).

The Santa Fe Trail coursed its way through Kearny County, leaving its mark in many places. Four miles east of Lakin are Charlie's Ruts (made available by SFTA Ambassador Paul Bentrup) on the north side of US Highway 50. West of Lakin, at the site of Chouteau's Island, is the area to which Major Bennett Riley led the first military escorted caravan in 1829. He and his men waited three months on the banks of the Arkansas River for the caravan to return from Santa Fe. The returning caravan was accompanied by New Mexican troops, and each army entertained the other before heading toward their respective home stations. It was at this point also, that many caravans coming west, turned south to Wagon Bed Springs at the Upper Crossing of the Arkansas, thus avoiding the long waterless stretch from the Middle Cimarron Crossing to Wagon Bed Springs. While the road south through the sand hills is paved now, with a little imagination you can make it a pretty wild and lonely trip today.
Farmers began coming to the area in the early 1800's to homestead the open rangeland. In 1888 the Kearny County boundaries were set as they are today. Through the following years, Lakin, as well as Kearny County, survived many set backs and hardships, but, because of the strength and fortitude of its settlers, has come through with flying colors. Farming, ranching, custom cattle feeding and the natural gas industry continue to provide substantial economic stability to the population of 2,230."
Date of Manufacture: 1/1/1872

Purpose: Water Pumping

Open to the public: yes

Is This Windmill Functional?: Not Sure

Windmill Farm: no

Cost: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Museum on Site: no

Visit Instructions:
When logging a VISIT to a windmill that has been Waymarked, please take a a photograph of the Windmill and provide a summary of your visit. In this way we can track changes to the mills over the years
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Windmills
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
ornith visited John O'Loughlin Windmill, Lakin, Kansas 9/2/2013 ornith visited it
Mr&MrsGeoTux visited John O'Loughlin Windmill, Lakin, Kansas 6/29/2013 Mr&MrsGeoTux visited it
mamajhk visited John O'Loughlin Windmill, Lakin, Kansas 5/1/2012 mamajhk visited it
boxiedoxie visited John O'Loughlin Windmill, Lakin, Kansas 1/31/2011 boxiedoxie visited it
Queens Blessing visited John O'Loughlin Windmill, Lakin, Kansas 7/10/2010 Queens Blessing visited it

View all visits/logs