F.W. Sallet and the Dakota Freie Presse
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member NGComets
N 45° 26.695 W 098° 28.776
14T E 540696 N 5032509
Quick Description: A plaque honoring freedom of the press. Erected in 1990.
Location: South Dakota, United States
Date Posted: 4/12/2010 7:39:24 AM
Waymark Code: WM8K1B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers
Views: 5

Long Description:
This marker is located on Melgaard Road in Aberdeen, SD.

Melgaard Park is nearby and the home of many playgrounds and picnic areas.
Marker Name: F.W. Sallet and the Dakota Freie Press

Marker Type: Other

Marker Text:
Two German-language newspapers, Dakota Freie Press (DPF) and Neue Deutsche Presse (NDP) were located a short distance from here at 324 South Main St. Owner and editor, Friedrich Wilhelm Sallet, emigrated from East Prussia and published DFP for Germans from Russia with NDP for Reich Germans Aberdeen was a hub for both groups. Begun in 1874 in Yankton, the DFP was purchase by Sallet in 1903 and moved to Aberdeen in 1909. The DFP was “the oldest and most widely distributed newspaper for Germans from Russia in the world.: It claimed to have subscribers in 1,500 communities on four continents. Sallet used the DFP as headquarters for a relief department which sent packages to famished Soviet villages in 1921 and four shiploads of dairy cows to supply milk to German orphanages. The DFP carried columns for people seeking addresses of “lost” individuals, operated as a clearing house on land and immigration, and in 1924 became the first U.S. paper allowed re-entry into the Soviet Union. Wrongly suspected of being pro-German, Sallet and his NDP editor J.F. Paul Gross, were arrested in 1918 and charged for not filing English translations of two articles with the post office. Following the trial, Gross was interned in Georgia while Salled paid a fine and legal costs. Sallet was defended by Dorothy Rehfeld, the first female attorney to practice in S.D. The NDP ceased publication in January 1918. Ini 1920, the DDFP moved to Minnesota and continued until 1954. After Sallet’s death in 1932, his nephew (Dr. Richard Sallet) became editor.


Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site'. If you do not post a photo your log will be deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest South Dakota Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.