St. Clement's Church - Philadelphia, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 57.382 W 075° 10.370
18S E 485237 N 4422928
Quick Description: On Sept. 13, 1855, a charter was granted to “The Rector, Churchwardens, and Vestrymen of S. Clement’s Church in the City of Philadelphia.” The first Rector was the Rev’d Henry S. Spackman. His his rectorate began officially on January 1, 1856.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 12/25/2009 9:46:26 PM
Waymark Code: WM7YY4
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 0

Long Description:

A spirit of romanticism, already evident in England, which was exhibiting renewed interest in Gothic architecture, assumed here various forms, some of which were admirable, others very poor. Two fine churches of this period still exist in Philadelphia " the Church of St. James the Less (1846), at Falls of Schuylkill, a fine reproduction of St. Michael's Church, at Long Stauton England - a small thirteenth century English village church - and St. Mark's Church (1847), on Locust Street west of Sixteenth, both by John Notman, St. Clement's Church (1859) at Twentieth and Cherry Streets... --- Philadelphia: A Guide to the Nation's Birthplace, 1937; page 268-269


The cornerstone was laid on 12th May 1856, by The Rt. Rev’d Alonzo Potter, Third Bishop of the Diocese of Pennsylvania.

The land on which S. Clement’s was built was furnished by William Wood, a relative of Dr. Spackman. He owned most of the land in this section of Philadelphia and was eager that a church should be built, not so much because of any religious devotion on his part, but because he felt the erection of a church would greatly enhance his residential projects.

John Notman was the architect for S. Clement’s. He also designed and built S. Mark’s Church on Locust Street, the Church of the Holy Trinity on Rittenhouse Square, and, with Napoleon Le Brun, was associate architect for the Roman Catholic Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul on Logan Square.

The building of S. Clement’s Church lasted 3 years, because of recurring financial difficulties. Contemporary evidence indicates that at one time all work was stopped and the building stood roofless for a long period. It was finally opened for services on the first Sunday in January 1859. There is no record of any services for the congregation before the opening of the new building. The Church was consecrated on April 12, 1864. Bishop Potter again officiated and was assisted by Bishop Stevens, Bishop Suffragan in the Diocese, and by Bishop Lee of Delaware.

Address Saint Clement’s Church
2013 Appletree Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103

Book: Philadelphia

Page Number(s) of Excerpt: 268-269

Year Originally Published: 1937

Visit Instructions:
To log a Visit, please supply an original image of the Waymark.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest American Guide Series
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.