Newman Brothers Building - Joplin, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 37° 05.102 W 094° 30.804
15S E 365489 N 4105376
Quick Description: The Newman Brothers Building is now the Joplin City Hall. It is located at 602-608 South Main Street in Joplin.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 11/17/2009 8:02:56 PM
Waymark Code: WM7PD3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 4

Long Description:
?Atop City Hall is a lighted flag display that contains the American, State, and City Flags. Next to the front door is a plaque about the City Hall. It reads:
2005 Joplin City Hall
Newman Mercantile Company Opened
November 10, 1910

Rededicated
March 20, 2005

Architects
Patterson, Latimer, Jones, Brannon, Denham, Inc.
Joplin, Missouri

Mechanical Engineer
Frymire, Mahoney, Sallee
Independence, Missouri

General Contractor
R. E. Smith Construction
Joplin, Missouri

City Council
Phil Stinnett - Mayor ~ Jon Tupper - Mayor Pro-Tem ~ Vesta Grindstaff ~ Robert Harrington ~ Don Landrith ~ Guy Palmer ~ Richard Russell ~ Gary Shaw ~ Mike Woolston

City Administration
Mark Rohr - City Manager ~ Harold McCoy - Assistant City Manager ~ Brian Head - City Attorney ~ Barbara Hogelin - City Clerk

From the National Register Application:
(visit link)

The storefront on the Main Street facade consists of five bays with the central bay containing the facade's primary entrance. This entrance has two sets of original wood and glag; double doors of single light paneled design. Above each set of doors is a rectangular single light transom. Flanking the doors are small display windows which are elliptical in form and have rflipHrai glass panels resting on stone bulkheads. The display windows in the flanking bays have copper or steel muntin bars and rest on stone bulkheads or alia. Above the display windows is a cast iron transom bar decorated with a Greek fret band.

Above each transom bar is a three light transom with wood muntin bars. Dividing each storefront bay are stone Doric pilfers. Extending above the display windows is an original cast iron canopy supported by large brackets and decorative rods anchored into the face of the building. This canopy has roof detailing of finials designed as small bound torches and a single light and cast iron valence. The glass lights of the valence have been painted in recent years. The canopy support brackets aia? contain original hanging glass globe fixtures.

Above the storefront is a stone entablature and cornice. The second, third, and fourth stories have identical plan arrangements and detailing. Each story is divided into five bays with each bay containing tri-part Chicago Style windows. Each window has a central fixed rectangular light with flanking single light hinged casement windows. Above each window is a rectangular single light transom. Each window has a stone sill, bracketed sheet metal lintel, and comer
floral and ribbon medallions. Between each window on the second, third, and fourth stories are recessed brick panels in the spandrels. At the third story central window is a cast iron balcony with its railing resting on a stone platform. The platform is supported by stone volute brackets and beneath are stone modillion blocks. The railing has square balusters and inset wreaths which
contain the letter "N".

Dividing the fourth and fifth stories is a copper cornice with ball and ribbon medallions. Above the fifth story is a large projecting copper cornice with modillion blocks, voluted brackets, egg and dart molding, and acrotprions at the roofline. Between each bay is a relief of a lion's head design and copper cartouches. Below the cartouches are wreaths which contain original electric light glass globes and below the wreaths are copper strips arranged in the letter
"N".

The Sixth Street facade has a similar five-bay configuration and is identical in all respects to the Main Street facade with only a few exceptions. At the storefront on this facade the original single light glass and frame doors have been removed and replaced with ca. 1970 solid wood doors. Several windows on the upper stories of this facade have been covered with plywood and the roofline lacks electric glass globes.

The rear, or west, facade is divided into five bays and has an exterior of five course common bond brick. Entrances on the first story face an alley and have ca. 1970 glass and metal doors. Windows on each floor are three-over-three vertical light sash with stone sUls and wire glass lights. The upper facade windows are grouped together in threes on each floor. At the roofline is a brick
smokestack for the heating system and also on the rear facade is an original full height steel fire escape. The south facade shares a party wall with an adjacent two-story brick building. The upper floors have a five course common bond exterior and three light vertical sash windows. Above the fifth story on this facade is a raised brick penthouse story which houses the building's elevator machinery and mechanical rooms.

Street address:
602-608 South Main Street
Joplin, Mo USA
64801


County / Borough / Parish: Jasper County

Year listed: 190

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949

Historic function: Commerce/Trade

Current function: Government

Privately owned?: no

Hours of operation: From: 9:00 AM To: 5:00 PM

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Where's George visited Newman Brothers Building   -  Joplin, MO 4/18/2014 Where's George visited it
Fattuhr visited Newman Brothers Building   -  Joplin, MO 5/24/2010 Fattuhr visited it

View all visits/logs