Civic Stability - Deadwood, SD
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member gparkes
N 44° 22.507 W 103° 43.763
13T E 601226 N 4914322
Quick Description: This marker stands between the Federal Building and County Courthouse in Deadwood, South Dakota.
Location: South Dakota, United States
Date Posted: 7/11/2009 10:46:08 AM
Waymark Code: WM6R0R
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers
Views: 8

Long Description:

Marker text reads:

Civic Stabiility

Deadwood erected two monuments to order and permanence in the early 1900's. The federal building opened in 1907 and activities in the county courthouse started the next year.

In its earl gold rush days, Deadwood had been a wild, raucous mining camp with a widespread reputation for lawlessness. But over time the community matured and the residents supported law and order. Townspeople viewed the two government buildings as symbols of the respectability, permanence and importance that Deadwood had achieved.

The United States District Court had met in Deadwood since the early gold rush days. Its first meeting in the mining camp was in a saloon on Lee Street. In the new federal building, the courtrooms occupied the second floor, while the post office was on the first floor. The classical revival design proclaimed the federal presence in the community.

The new county courthouse... boasted beautiful murals on the walls and ceilings. Renovations covered this art, but it was exposed and restored in 1991. Additions have expanded the size of the original building, but it still serves as the center of county business.

Marker Name: Civic Stability

Marker Type: City

Marker Text:
Deadwood erected two monuments to order and permanence in the early 1900's. The federal building opened in 1907 and activities in the county courthouse started the next year. In its earl gold rush days, Deadwood had been a wild, raucous mining camp with a widespread reputation for lawlessness. But over time the community matured and the residents supported law and order. Townspeople viewed the two government buildings as symbols of the respectability, permanence and importance that Deadwood had achieved. The United States District Court had met in Deadwood since the early gold rush days. Its first meeting in the mining camp was in a saloon on Lee Street. In the new federal building, the courtrooms occupied the second floor, while the post office was on the first floor. The classical revival design proclaimed the federal presence in the community. The new county courthouse... boasted beautiful murals on the walls and ceilings. Renovations covered this art, but it was exposed and restored in 1991. Additions have expanded the size of the original building, but it still serves as the center of county business.


Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site'. If you do not post a photo your log will be deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest South Dakota Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.