Powder Magazine Museum - Jefferson Barracks - St. Louis, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Wampa-One
N 38° 30.962 W 090° 16.317
15S E 737847 N 4266600
Quick Description: Military museum dedicated to the history of this United States Military Reservation 1826-1946
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 9/15/2008 7:20:39 PM
Waymark Code: WM4PHN
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member CoinsAndPins
Views: 32

Long Description:
Jefferson Barracks, established in 1826 as the country’s first “Infantry School of Practice,” served as a major military installation until 1946. Named in honor of former President Thomas Jefferson, the post played an important role in westward expansion. Jefferson Barracks served as a gathering point for troops and supplies bound for service in the Mexican War, Civil War, various Indian conflicts, Spanish-American War, Philippine War, World War I and World War II. Jefferson Barracks also served as the first Army Air Corps basic training site. Stephan W. Kearny, Zachary Taylor, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, U.S. Grant, William T. Sherman and Philip Sheridan were a few of the famous Americans to serve at Jefferson Barracks.
Things To Do and See:
Historic area, field archery, lighted ball field, 2.7-mile paved trail, cork ball field, and St. Louis County Veterans Memorial Amphitheater. Jefferson Barracks was a U.S. Army post from 1826 to 1946. The museum buildings were part of the ordnance section built in the 1850s. Exhibits, educational programs and special events are presented. Hours are 12 noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday. For information call 314-638-2100.

Museums in Jefferson Barracks:

-Laborer’s House
Built in 1851 for the use of civilian workmen at the Ordnance Depot, the building was restored from original plans in the National Archives. Extensive archaeological excavations undertaken in the 1950s were valuable in providing clues for the fittings of the house which now appears as it did in the 1850s.

-Stable
Built in 1851 to house four horses and two spring wagons used to haul the munitions produced at the St. Louis Arsenal to the various ordnance magazines in Jefferson Barracks. It is unique in that it has a front and back door so that both teams could pull in simultaneously.

-Powder Magazine Museum
Built in 1857, this massive stone building was used for storage of the rifles, cannon, gun powder and prepared ammunition for the troops stationed at the Barracks, in the Mississippi valley and in the western frontier. It has a beautiful patio overlooking the Mississippi River.

-Old Ordnance Room
The first of the powder magazines built at JB in 1851, it is now used for special exhibitions relating to the military history of the park.

-Visitor’s Center
Completed in 1878, this building was originally used as a stable for four wagons and seven animals. It was also used as a facility to repair tanks and then to house family visitors of new inductees into the service.
~ from St. Louis County's website


Nearly one hundred and seventy five years of American history are woven deeply into the story of Jefferson Barracks. Jefferson Barracks, named in honor President Thomas Jefferson, is located approximately ten miles south of St. Louis, Missouri. Its place in history represents a focal point for the westward expansion of this nation. Originally created to provide military protection from Indians for those pioneers seeking new homes, frontiersmen exploring the wilderness, and adventurers in quest of wealth and excitement. These new lands, opened for settlement by the Louisiana Purchase, provided the impetus and requirement for establishment of the first permanent military base west of the Mississippi River.

During the summer of 1826, at a cost of a five-dollar gold piece, this 1702 acre parcel of land became the property of the U.S. Army. In a few short years, in the 1840's, Jefferson Barracks became the largest military post in the United States. It very quickly became more than just a base camp for the troops fighting the Indian Wars. Throughout its history, it served as an ordinance depot, engineer base, a cavalry post, a general hospital, an induction and separation center, and a basic training center. In addition, nearly every major military figure in early American history has, at one time, passed through its gates.

Jefferson Barracks has hosted a constant procession of men who have played important roles in American history. Jefferson Davis, Henry Dodge, Ulysses S. Grant, Zachary Taylor, Robert E. Lee, William T. Sherman, Henry Leavenworth, James Longstreet, Joseph Johnson, and Braxton Bragg to name a few. More recently, two famous World War II officers were also associated with Jefferson Barracks, Generals Walter Krueger and Walter Short. Even General Dwight D. Eisenhower began his military career at Jefferson Barracks in 1911 leaving this post as a cadet for West Point.

New methods of mobility for the young U.S. Army were initiated at Jefferson Barracks. In 1833, the First Regiment of Dragoons, later to become the First U.S. Cavalry, was born. Among its first officers were Henry Dodge, William J. Hardee, Nathanial Boone and Jefferson Davis. Many of these early cavalry units became the parent organization of the armored units in today's modern Army. This installation reached such prominence that, at one point, it was suggested that the U.S. Military Academy at West Point be quartered here.

Military campaigns that originated from Jefferson Barracks include the Black Hawk Indian War and the Mexican Punitive Expedition (in pursuit of Pancho Villa) commanded by General John J. (Black Jack) Pershing. Additional deployments also occurred in support of the Spanish-American War and World Wars I and II.

30 June 1946, after World War II and the general demobilization of the nations military that followed, Jefferson Barracks was considered excess and converted to a National Guard installation. Since that time, it has served as the home of several diverse Air and Army National Guard, Reserve and National Guard Bureau organizations.
~ from Jefferson Barracks Heritage Foundation website ("http://www.jeffersonbarracks.org/JB_hist.html" target="_blank">visit link)

CHRONOLOGICAL HISTORY OF JEFFERSON BARRACKS by Art Schuermann ("http://www.jeffersonbarracks.org/JB_chrono.html" target="_blank">visit link)

Opening hours: 12 noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday

Open all year: Except for some holidays

Related web-page: [Web Link]

Wikipedia link:: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

Please supply proof of your visit such as a photo of the museum or a sign signifying same.
A "Visited" only remark will be deleted.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest War and Military Museums
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
kJfishman visited Powder Magazine Museum - Jefferson Barracks - St. Louis, MO 6/5/2011 kJfishman visited it
Capn Sea Bert visited Powder Magazine Museum - Jefferson Barracks - St. Louis, MO 10/31/2010 Capn Sea Bert visited it

View all visits/logs