Archaeological Site of Panamá Viejo
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member aj-8-52
N 09° 00.388 W 079° 29.116
17P E 666505 N 995911
Quick Description: Founded in 1519 by the conquistador Pedrarias Dávila, "Panamá Viejo" is the oldest European settlement on the Pacific coast of the Americas. It was laid out on a rectilinear grid and marks the transference from Europe of the idea of a planned town.
Location: Panama
Date Posted: 3/30/2007 6:54:17 PM
Waymark Code: WM1C1E
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 99

Long Description:
The city was founded on August 15, 1519, by Pedro Arias de Ávila, also known as Pedrarias Dávila, in an area that was part of an ethnic coastal village dedicated to fishing.

Panama City became an important geographic location for colonial trade. It is estimated that during the 16th and 17th centuries, 60% of all american silver went through the city which also operated as a connection point for interamerican trade. Products from countries such as Nicaragua, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Peru and Mexico arrived at Panama City to be reshipped to other locations in the continent. Panama’s position as one of the most important centers for expeditions, and it’s important strategic location for trading set forth the Isthmus’ destiny for international transit service.
Panama was located by an important river, which made it useful as a port. As every spanish built city it reflected the current social order in its spacing. The highest points were saved for Royal Houses and the High Church, simbols of the Crown and the Catholic Church, the icons of colonial society.

Old Panama started with a handful of simple huts. Afterwards, wood-based construction became widespread and this lasted through time. Stone was already used at the end of the 16th century but only in government building, churches and the best houses. Old Panama had a few government buildings, so the landscape was quite diverse.
Old Panama was also the host of a Royal Court, an iberic tribunal, and as such, a major government office. The elite of landowners and traders lived in the city and its population may have reached 10,000, which is a considerable amount for the period.

In 1671 Henry Morgan with a band of 1400 men attacked and looted the city, which was subsequently destroyed by fire. The ruins of the old city still remain and are a popular tourist attraction known as Panamá Viejo or Panamá la Vieja (Old Panama). It was rebuilt in 1673 in a new location about 5 miles west-southwest of the original city. That location is now known as the Casco Viejo (Old Hull) of the city.

This property is a year 2003 extension for Historic District of Panamá, date of inscription 1997. Serial ID Number: 790-002

Its official website is www.panamaviejo.org (in spanish).
Type: Site

Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/790

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Jouko visited Archaeological Site of Panamá Viejo 2/12/2011 Jouko visited it
lordofthings visited Archaeological Site of Panamá Viejo 1/21/2011 lordofthings visited it

View all visits/logs