St. John's 1856
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member plainsdrifter358
N 42° 26.911 W 096° 33.831
14T E 700338 N 4702451
Quick Description: Abandoned site of 'Old St. John's,' one of the first towns established in Dakota County.
Location: Nebraska, United States
Date Posted: 1/2/2007 10:20:44 AM
Waymark Code: WM13CP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MNSearchers
Views: 32

Long Description:
The Townsite was settled on 2 June 1856 by the Father Trecy Colony--60 people, with eighteen ox-drawn covered wagons. The site was surveyed and platted 24 June 1856, and the town was named in honor of St. John the Baptist. Consisting mostly of Irish immigrants, it constituted the first Catholic parish in Nebraska. The town grew rapidly and by 1858 had two hundred inhabitants. In 1860 Father Trecy went to Washington seeking permission to establish a mission among the Ponca Indians. Meanwhile the Civil War began. Father Trecy became an army chaplain, and never returned to his beloved Colony. In the early 1860s, the Missouri River began to threaten St. John's. The people began moving the buildings to the new town of Jackson. By 1866, all buildings were gone and the townsite was abandoned. The site of St. John/s still exists as a symbol of courage and hope and of the religious faith of a dedicated people.
Marker Name: St. John's 1856

City: yes

Roadside: yes

Other: no

Web Address if available:: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Post Pictures:
1. Close up of historical marker
2. Picture of surrounding area (would prefer to have the marker in the picture also). Thanks!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Nebraska Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
plainsdrifter358 visited St. John's 1856 12/26/2006 plainsdrifter358 visited it
Markerman62 visited St. John's 1856 8/22/2005 Markerman62 visited it

View all visits/logs