St. Peter the Apostle Catholic Church – Joplin, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 37° 04.960 W 094° 31.021
15S E 365163 N 4105119
Quick Description: Historic Catholic Church in Joplin, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 4/22/2015 4:12:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMNQZ6
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:

St. Peter the Apostle Catholic Church: Built in 1906 in the Late Gothic Revival style, the church is only slightly altered and retains many of the characteristic elements of its style, including oculi, or circular windows; tracery; Gothic arched windows and doors; and the triple portal entry...

Both church and rectory are constructed of Carthage limestone, which was utilized extensively in the area for civic, religious, and residential buildings. The church faces east and measures 63 feet 6 inches north to south and 122 feet 8 inches east to west. Its rough-faced masonry is laid in regular courses of alternating wide and narrow rows. A steel frame supports the steeply pitched roof and vaulted ceilings, eliminating the need for heavy and massive wall buttresses. Finials rise from each corner of the facade towers. The Easter lily motif, a recurring theme, is used with window and door moldings and cornice work.

The primary facade has three entry ways. The largest is in the center, is arched, and has a rose window above it to let in the morning light upon the auditorium and the main altar. The main entrances lead into the tiled floor vestibule. The south transept contains a baptistery, and the north transept contains a spiral staircase going up the gallery, or choir loft, and down to the basement. The vestibule opens into the auditorium, which can seat up to 400 people. The ceiling is plastered, and oak ribs fan down with ornamental compositions at their ends. Seventeen stained glass windows depicting the mysteries of the Rosary lie in the north and south walls. The four largest stained glass windows depict Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John and have been recently refurbished. These windows, contributed by private individuals and groups, were made by a now defunct St. Paul, Minnesota, company. The company utilized the Munich process, which required painting the design with enamel onto a sold sheet of plain glass and then firing the glass to make the design permanent. Also along these walls are the Stations of the Cross, donated in memory of Thomas Connor, a major contributor to the construction of the church. The original pews were replaced in the middle 1970s.

The characteristic pointed Gothic arch is used at the stained glass windows, at the intersection of the altar and nave, and is incorporated into the ceiling design. The other portals on either side are located in tower structures, each with an apse, stone turrets, and balustrades connecting them. There are two other entrances. The entrance on the southwest leads into the sacristy, which has been enclosed; an entrance on the north side leads into the basement, where there are storage areas, a kitchen, a meeting room, and a boiler room. The roof, redone in the 1940s, is gray slate, but maintains its original copper ridges and gutters.^ The alcove at the west end has a copper stone coping running along edges of the front, back, and transepts, with a stone cross on each pinnacle.

The Chancel at the west end has two small altars on each side. Both, along with the main altar, were hand carved in Germany, shipped in parts, and reassembled here. The altar on the south is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and a statue of her occupies the center of the altar. The north altar is dedicated to Joseph, and a statue of him also occupies the center. The entry into the alcove is through a high arch. Doors leading to the north and south sacristy are in this alcove area. The main altar features a statute of St. Peter. The church's hand carved wood high altar, with 46 spires and many lovely onyx and gold ornaments was also imported from Germany. The semiclassical pipe organ, made at the turn of the century, has been removed but has been replaced with an organ of similar style and design. Other significant interior features are the recently restored carved wood confessionals, pulpits, altars, and statues of the saints.

National Register Nomination

The church is in excellent condition continues to serve as parish has its place of worship.

The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 1/1/1876

Date of building construction: 1/1/1905

Dominant Architectural Style: Gothic Revival

Diocese: Diocese of Springfield - Cape Girardeau

Address/Location:
812 Pearl St.
Joplin, Missouri


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.