Cutter Theatre - Metaline Falls, WA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 48° 51.659 W 117° 22.476
11U E 472524 N 5412069
Quick Description: Designed by well known Washington architects Cutter and Malgren, this Neoclassically styled former school was built in 1912 by Pend Oreille School District #2. It was the first, and until 1956, only school in Metaline Falls
Location: Washington, United States
Date Posted: 4/4/2015 2:33:25 AM
Waymark Code: WMNMGG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 0

Long Description:
Now repurposed as the Cutter Theatre, in honour of its designer, Kirtland Cutter, the school became the Selkirk School District office in 1972, then fell into disuse for over 10 years. Rescued from a state of severe decline in 1990, it was restored and reopened as the Cutter Theatre in 1991 by a large group of dedicated volunteers, who continue to operate the performing arts theatre to this day.

Cutter was a believer in first impressions, as expressed in the doorways of his buildings. The Cutter Theatre/Metaline Falls School is no exception, as he put most of the artwork on the exterior on the façade which contains the main entrance. A large double door with a multi paned transom above, it is framed within sandstone pilasters with decorated capitals and a terra cotta frame over the arched transom. Above is decorative brick work and to the left and right are decorative arched transoms over each window. Altogether it makes for a very impressive façade in an otherwise quite pedestrian building.


Photo goes Here

Metaline Falls School

The Metaline Falls School is a well-preserved brick schoolhouse designed by the Spokane architectural firm of Cutter and Malmgren and constructed in 1912. Located on a two acre site at the edge of the city's residential district, on a bluff 150 feet above the Pend Oreille River, the school is a two-floor, 10-classroom structure distinguished by a Neoclassical facade. The school, together with the adjacent playfieId and gymnasium, is the most substantial public facility in the community and stands in marked contrast to both the surrounding natural beauty of the nearby mountains and the small scale structures of the adjacent neighborhood.

The Metaline Falls School is built on a modified T-plan, with a central gabled pavilion projecting from a perpendicular, hipped roof classroom wing. The classroom wing measures approximately 125 feet wide by 57 feet deep, while the pavilion projects 21 feet from the face of the classroom wing and measures 46 feet wide. The entire structure rests on a concrete foundation and raised basement, with upper walls constructed of low-fired local red brick laid in a Flemish bond. The school is sheltered by a hipped and gabled roof sheathed in original double course wood shingles, exposed seven inches to weather. The eaves of the roof overhang the wall by three feet, exposing rafter tails. One of the original two brick chimneys remains.

The central pavilion serves as the visual focal point and the main entrance to the school. The pavilion is dominated by a central entry set within a round-arched opening. Access is gained through double doors (non-historic) beneath a transom light. The doors are reached by a flight of eight concrete steps, leading to a concrete platform (added about 1940). The entryway is framed by cast stone pilasters with Corinthian capitals, crowned by a full entablature with architrave, frieze (inscribed with the name of the school), and dentillated cornice. Above the cornice is a fanlight with radiating muntins, set within a cast stone arch. The surrounding archivolt is ornamented with an egg and dart molding.

Distinguished by an imposing Neoclassical facade and sturdy brick construction, the Metaline Falls School is closely associated with the development of education and community life in the small Pend Oreille County town. The structure was the first and, until 1956, only public school in Metaline Falls, served both primary and high school students, and was the site of numerous town meetings and community events. Designed by the Spokane architectural firm of Cutter and Malmgren, and constructed in 1912, the building is the finest example of civic architecture in town.
From the NRHP

Type of material of the door: Wood

Functional door?: Yes

Location of this door/way: On public property

Is it accessable only by paid admission": No

Style: Other

Address or physical location:
302 Park Street Metaline Falls, WA USA 99153


Visit Instructions:
  • At least one photo is required.
  • A VISITED only remark, will be deleted.
  • Search for...
    Geocaching.com Google Map
    Google Maps
    MapQuest
    Bing Maps
    Nearest Waymarks
    Nearest Doorways of the World
    Nearest Geocaches
    Nearest Benchmarks
    Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
    Recent Visits/Logs:
    There are no logs for this waymark yet.