L'Ancien Couvent devenu bureaux. -Ste-Rose. -Laval. -Québec.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member colibris7
N 45° 36.822 W 073° 47.264
18T E 594519 N 5051843
Quick Description: L'Ancien Couvent devenu bureaux. -Ste-Rose. -Laval. -Québec. The Convent became offices. -Ste Rose. -Laval. -Québec.
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 4/2/2015 2:21:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMNM8F
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Mark1962
Views: 4

Long Description:
L'Ancien Couvent devenu bureaux 233 Boul. Ste-Rose. à-Ste-Rose.
-Laval. -Québec.

Cet édifice situé juste à côté du presbytère est l'ancien couvent des Sœurs de Sainte-Croix (aussi connu sous le nom de pensionnat Saint-Charles), qui date de 1876. À cette époque, les sœurs viennent à Sainte-Rose pour offrir un enseignement religieux aux jeunes filles de la paroisse, une tâche qui est jusque-là surtout effectuée par des maîtres d'école laïques. Le couvent accueille de plus en plus d'élèves, à la fois des pensionnaires et des externes, si bien qu'on doit l'agrandir en 1912. Plusieurs annexes sont aussi construites au fil des décennies, mais sans toutefois altérer la beauté et l'authenticité du bâtiment d'origine.
Ce bâtiment a été réalisé par l'architecte Victor Bourgeau, qui a également dessiné les plans de l'église. L'architecte choisit de donner au bâtiment un style néo-classique, tout en s'inspirant du Second Empire européen très à la mode à l'époque. On le voit grâce au toit mansardé qui comporte plusieurs lucarnes et un clocheton délicat placé au sommet de l'édifice. Sous le brisis du toit, on remarque un superbe travail de menuiserie avec la corniche à denticules à la grecque, très bel exemple de langage classique. Sur la façade principale, séparant le brisis du toit en plein milieu, se trouvent trois fenêtres à la mode palladienne démontrant encore une fois le caractère classique du bâtiment.
La pierre utilisée pour la maçonnerie provient des carrières de pierres de l'entrepreneur Félix Labelle de Sainte-Rose. Quant au portail de la façade, il est modifié au début des années 1900. On y ajoute un petit toit avec un fronton supporté par des pilastres définissant le piano Nobile, un rez-de-chaussée surélevé qui est mis en évidence à l’extérieur par la différence de taille de la pierre. Par ses différents éléments architecturaux, le couvent de Sainte-Rose ressemble beaucoup aux autres bâtiments conventuels construits à la même époque dans la région de Montréal.

Maintenant cet édifice est occupé par des bureaux commerciaux: Paradoxe communication Concepteur de site Web. Mobile, design graphique et plus.
Académie Édith Serei qui est une école de beauté et d'esthétique professionnelle .

The Convent became offices 233 Boul. Saint Rose. to Ste-Rose.
-Laval. -Québec.

This building located right next to the presbytery is the former convent of the Holy Cross Sisters (also known as the boarding name Saint-Charles), which dates from 1876. At that time, the sisters come to Sainte-Rose to offer religious education to girls of the parish, a task that is so far mainly done by secular school teachers. The monastery welcomes more and more students, both residents and external, so we should enlarge in 1912. Several annexes are also built over the decades, but without altering the beauty and authenticity of the original building.
This building was designed by architect Victor Bourgeau, who also designed the church's plans. The architect chose to give the building a neo-classical style, while drawing inspiration from the Second European Empire very fashionable at the time. Seen through the mansard roof that has several skylights and a delicate spire placed at the top of the building. Under the roof of the bell-cast, one notices a beautiful woodwork with dentil cornice Greek, fine example of classical language. On the main façade, separating the bell-cast in the middle of the roof, there are three windows to the Palladian fashion again showing the classic character of the building.
The stone used for masonry stone quarries comes from the entrepreneur Felix Labelle Sainte-Rose. As for the gate of the facade, it is modified in the early 1900s this was added a small roof with a pediment supported by pilasters defining the piano Nobile, a raised ground floor which is highlighted on the outside by the difference of the stone. Through its various architectural elements, the convent of Sainte-Rose is very similar to other monastic buildings constructed at the same time in the Montreal area.

This building is occupied by commercial offices: Paradox website designer communication. Mobile, graphic design and more.
Edith Serei Academy which is a beauty school and professional aesthetic
Type: Remnant

Fee: free, gratuit.

Hours:
always, toujours.


Related URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.