Former Brown Chapel – Appleton City, Missouri
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 38° 12.202 W 094° 05.415
15S E 404542 N 4228941
Quick Description: Historic former church then one-room schoolhouse then community center near Appleton City, Missouri.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 3/23/2015 7:47:40 PM
Waymark Code: WMNJHN
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Mark1962
Views: 0

Long Description:
"Hudson City School is a frame, one-room schoolhouse located in a rural area approximately one mile northwest of the junction of Missouri 52 and Highway W in Bates County, Missouri. The location is about three miles westnorthwest of Appleton City, the nearest town. The cross-gabled building was constructed in 1891, as a Methodist Episcopal church. In 1911, the church sold the property to School District No. 83 and it was reconfigured as a schoolhouse. A row of 10 closely spaced windows in the north elevation was part of the church-to-schoolhouse conversion, with new windows added adjacent to the church windows for improved lighting. A ca. 1900 photograph indicates that in most other respects, the form of the weatherboard-sided, white-painted building is unchanged from when it was a church. The building measures 45-1/2 feet at its longest point from east to west and 38-1/2 feet from north to south. It has a metal roof and sits on a foundation of sandstone blocks. A lone brick chimney pierces the west gable end. The main entrance, with a transom, is in a small vestibule on the southeast where the two wings intersect. The east gabled end is blind but a small painted sign near the top reads HUDSON CITY SCHOOL DIST. NO. 83. Another small sign near the entrance reads HUDSON COMMUNITY CENTER. A small open porch with a shed roof fills the space where the wings intersect in the southwest corner. Interior space consists of a classroom, kitchen, two small rooms and a small hallway. In the 1970s, ceilings were lowered and other modest alterations took place but the original plaster walls and ceilings are intact. Original doors and much original woodwork is present and visible. The blackboard is intact, and in fact the interior is essentially unaltered since the building was last used as a schoolhouse in 1952. Overall, integrity is excellent. Considering its age and limited maintenance, the building is in relatively good condition although some deterioration is evident, especially along the base, and the paint is peeling. A frame privy off the northwest corner dates from when the building was used as a schoolhouse and is counted as a contributing resource." – National Register Nomination

When built this building was known as Brown Chapel, a Methodist church, and served in that role for its first 20 years. The building is in good condition and is used as a community meeting place mostly by the 4-H club. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
Active church?: No

Year Built: 1891

Website: [Web Link]

Service times: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

At least one photo. You're welcome to be in the picture, but please, No GPSr.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Methodist Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.